§ 70.19General license for calibration or reference sources.
(a) A general license is hereby issued to those persons listed below to receive title to, own, acquire, deliver, receive, possess, use and transfer in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, plutonium in the form of calibration or reference sources:
(1) Any person in a non-agreement State who holds a specific license issued by the Commission or the Atomic Energy Commission which authorizes him to receive, possess, use and transfer byproduct material, source material, or special nuclear material;
(2) Any Government agency as defined in § 70.4 that holds a specific license issued by the Commission that authorizes it to receive, possess, use, or transfer byproduct material, source material, or special nuclear material; and
(3) Any person in an agreement State who holds a specific license issued by the Commission or the Atomic Energy Commission which authorizes him to receive, possess, use and transfer special nuclear material.
(b) The general license in paragraph (a) of this section applies only to calibration or reference sources which have been manufactured or initially transferred in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued pursuant to § 70.39 or in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued by an agreement State which authorizes manufacture of the sources for distribution to persons generally licensed by the agreement State.
(c) The general license in paragraph (a) of this section is subject to the provisions of §§ 70.32, 70.50, 70.55, 70.56, 70.91, 70.81, and 70.82; the provisions of §§ 74.11 and 74.19 of this chapter; and to the provisions of parts 19, 20, and 21 of this chapter. In addition, persons who receive title to own, acquire, deliver, receive, possess, use or transfer one or more calibration or reference sources under this general license:
(1) Shall not possess at any one time, at any one location of storage or use, more than 5 microcuries of plutonium in such sources;
(2) Shall not receive, possess, use or transfer such source unless the source, or the storage container, bears a label which includes the following statement or a substantially similar statement which contains the information called for in the following statement: 1
1 Sources generally licensed under this section prior to January 19, 1975 may bear labels authorized by the regulations in effect on January 1, 1975.
The receipt, possession, use and transfer of this source, Model ___, Serial No. ___, are subject to a general license and the regulations of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission or of a State with which the Commission has entered into an agreement for the exercise of regulatory authority. Do not remove this label.
caution—radioactive material—this source contains plutonium. do not touch radioactive portion of this source.
(Name of Manufacturer or Initial Transferor)
(3) Shall not transfer, abandon, or dispose of such source except by transfer to a person authorized by a license from the Commission or the Atomic Energy Commission or an Agreement State to receive the source.
(4) Shall store such source, except when the source is being used, in a closed container adequately designed and constructed to contain plutonium which might otherwise escape during storage.
(5) Shall not use such source for any purpose other than the calibration of radiation detectors or the standardization of other sources.
(d) The general license in paragraph (a) of this section does not authorize the manufacture, import, or export of calibration or reference sources containing plutonium.
[29 FR 5884, May 5, 1964, as amended at 32 FR 8124, June 7, 1967; 38 FR 22221, Aug. 17, 1973; 40 FR 8792, Mar. 3, 1975; 42 FR 28896, June 6, 1977; 43 FR 6924, Feb. 17, 1978; 48 FR 32329, July 15, 1983; 56 FR 40769, Aug. 16, 1991; 57 FR 33428, July 29, 1992; 67 FR 78142, Dec. 23, 2002; 72 FR 35145, June 27, 2007]
Title 10 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.