The following definitions apply to the terms used in this part:
(a)Act means the Federal Housing Enterprises Financial Safety and Soundness Act of 1992 (12 U.S.C. 4501et seq.), as amended by the Federal Housing Finance Regulatory Reform Act of 2008, enacted under Division A of the HERA.
(b)Director means the Director of FHFA or his or her designee.
(c)Enterprise means the Federal National Mortgage Association and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (collectively, Enterprises) and, except as provided by the Director, any affiliate thereof.
(d)Entity-affiliated party means—
(1) Any director, officer, employee, or controlling stockholder of, or agent for, a regulated entity;
(2) Any shareholder, affiliate, consultant, or joint venture partner of a regulated entity, and any other person, as determined by the Director (by regulation or on a case-by-case basis) that participates in the conduct of the affairs of a regulated entity, provided that a member of a Bank shall not be deemed to have participated in the affairs of that Bank solely by virtue of being a shareholder of, and obtaining advances from, that Bank;
(3) Any independent contractor for a regulated entity (including any attorney, appraiser, or accountant), if—
(i) The independent contractor knowingly or recklessly participates in—
(A) Any violation of any law or regulation;
(B) Any breach of fiduciary duty; or
(C) Any unsafe or unsound practice; and
(ii) Such violation, breach, or practice caused, or is likely to cause, more than a minimal financial loss to, or a significant adverse effect on, the regulated entity;
(4) Any not-for-profit corporation that receives its principal funding, on an ongoing basis, from any regulated entity; and
(5) The Office of Finance.
(e)Federal Home Loan Bank means a bank established under the Federal Home Loan Act; the term “Federal Home Loan Banks” means, collectively, all the Federal Home Loan Banks.
(1)Golden parachute payment means any payment (or any agreement to make any payment) in the nature of compensation by any regulated entity for the benefit of any current entity-affiliated party pursuant to an obligation of such regulated entity that—
(i) Is contingent on, or by its terms is payable on or after, the termination of such party's primary employment or affiliation with the regulated entity; and
(ii) Is received on or after the date on which—
(A) The regulated entity became insolvent;
(B) Any conservator or receiver is appointed for such regulated entity; or
(C) The Director determines that the regulated entity is in a troubled condition.
(2) The term “golden parachute payment” shall not include:
(i) Any payment made pursuant to a pension or retirement plan which is qualified (or is intended within a reasonable period of time to be qualified) under section 401 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (26 U.S.C. 401) or pursuant to a pension or other retirement plan which is governed by the laws of any foreign country;
(ii) Any payment made pursuant to a bona fide deferred compensation plan or arrangement which the Director determines, by regulation or order, to be permissible; or
(iii) Any payment made by reason of death or by reason of termination caused by the disability of an entity-affiliated party.
(3) Any payment which would be a golden parachute payment but for the fact that such payment was made before the date referred to in paragraph (f)(1)(ii) shall be treated as a golden parachute payment if the payment was made in contemplation of the occurrence of an event described that paragraph.
(g)FHFA means the Federal Housing Finance Agency.
(h)HERA means the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, Public Law No. 110-289, 122 Stat. 2654 (July 30, 2008).
(i)Office of Finance means the Office of Finance of the Federal Home Loan Bank System (or any successor thereto).
(j)Regulated entity means the Federal National Mortgage Association and any affiliate thereof; the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation and any affiliate thereof; or any Federal Home Loan Bank; the term “regulated entities” means, collectively, the Federal National Mortgage Association and any affiliate thereof; the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation and any affiliate thereof; and any Federal Home Loan Bank.
(k)Troubled condition means a regulated entity that—
(1) Is subject to a cease-and-desist order or written agreement issued by the FHFA that requires action to improve the financial condition of the regulated entity or is subject to a proceeding initiated by the Director, which contemplates the issuance of an order that requires action to improve the financial condition of the regulated entity, unless otherwise informed in writing by the FHFA; or
(2) Is informed in writing by the Director that it is in a troubled condition for purposes of the requirements of this part on the basis of the regulated entity's most recent report of examination or other information available to the FHFA.
Title 12 published on 2013-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 12.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.