(a) These regulations apply to the following cases:
(1) Where the Corporation is owed a debt by an individual currently employed by another agency;
(2) Where the Corporation is owed a debt by an individual who is currently employed by the Corporation; or
(3) Where the Corporation currently employs an individual who owes a debt to another Federal agency. Upon receipt of proper certification from the creditor agency, the Corporation will offset the debtor-employee's salary in accordance with these regulations.
(b) These regulations do not apply to the following: (1) Debts or claims arising under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (26 U.S.C. 1et seq. ); the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 301et seq. ); the tariff laws of the United States; or to any case where collection of a debt by salary offset is explicitly provided for or prohibited by another statute (e.g., travel advances in 5 U.S.C. 5705 and employee training expenses in 5 U.S.C. 4108 ).
(2) Any adjustment to pay arising from an employee's election of coverage or a change in coverage under a Federal benefits program requiring periodic deductions from pay if the amount to be recovered was accumulated over four pay periods or less.
(3) A claim which has been outstanding for more than 10 years after the creditor agency's right to collect the debt first accrued, unless facts material to the Government's right to collect were not known and could not reasonably have been known by the official or officials charged with the responsibility for discovery and collection of such debts.
Title 12 published on 2012-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.