12 CFR 1501.1 - How do you request the Secretary to determine that an activity is financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity?
prev | next
(a) Requests regarding activities that may be financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity. A national bank or other interested party may request the Secretary to determine that an activity not defined to be financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity in Section 4(k)(4) of the Bank Holding Company Act (12 U.S.C. 1843(k)(4)), is financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity.
(b) What information must the request contain? A request submitted under this section must be in writing and must:
(1) Identify and define the activity for which the determination is sought, specifically describing what the activity would involve and how the activity would be conducted;
(2) Explain in detail why the activity should be considered financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity; and
(3) Provide information supporting the requested determination and any other information required by the Secretary concerning the proposed activity.
(1) Section 121 of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA) (Public Law 106-102, 113 Stat. 1373) requires the Secretary to take into account the following factors in making his determination:
(i) The purposes of section 5136A of the Revised Statutes (12 U.S.C. 24a) and the GLBA;
(iii) Changes or reasonably expected changes in the technology for delivering financial services; and
(iv) Whether the activity is necessary or appropriate to allow a bank and the subsidiaries of a bank to—
(A) Compete effectively with any company seeking to provide financial services in the United States;
(B) Efficiently deliver information and services that are financial in nature through the use of technological means, including any application necessary to protect the security or efficacy of systems for the transmission of data or financial transactions; and
(C) Offer customers any available or emerging technological means for using financial services or for the document imaging of data.
(2) Because the Secretary is required to consider the factors in paragraph (c)(1) of this section in making his determination, any request should address the factors in paragraph (c)(1) of this section. The Secretary may also consider other relevant factors.
(1) Consultation with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (Board). Upon receiving the request, the Secretary will send a copy to the Board and consult with the Board in accordance with section 5136A(b)(1)(B)(i) of the Revised Statutes (12 U.S.C. 5136A(b)(1)(B)(i)).
(2) Public notice. The Secretary may, as appropriate and after consultation with the Board, publish a description of the proposal in the Federal Register with a request for public comment.
(1) Will inform the requester of the Secretary's final determination regarding the requested activity; and
(2) Will endeavor to inform the requester of the Secretary's final determination within 60 days of completion of both the consultative process described in paragraph (d)(1) of this section and the public comment period, if any.
(f) What must a national bank do in order for a financial subsidiary to engage in activities that the Secretary has determined are financial in nature or incidental to financial activities? Once the Secretary determines that an activity is financial in nature or incidental to a financial activity (either in accordance with this section or after evaluation of a proposal raised by the Board under section 5136A(b)(1)(B)(ii) of the Revised Statutes), a financial subsidiary may engage in the activity subject to the requirements of 12 CFR part 5 and in accordance with any terms or conditions established by the Secretary in connection with authorizing the activity.
Title 12 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.