12 CFR 228.22 - Lending test.
(a) Scope of test. (1) The lending test evaluates a bank's record of helping to meet the credit needs of its assessment area(s) through its lending activities by considering a bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and community development lending. If consumer lending constitutes a substantial majority of a bank's business, the Board will evaluate the bank's consumer lending in one or more of the following categories: motor vehicle, credit card, home equity, other secured, and other unsecured loans. In addition, at a bank's option, the Board will evaluate one or more categories of consumer lending, if the bank has collected and maintained, as required in § 228.42(c)(1), the data for each category that the bank elects to have the Board evaluate.
(2) The Board considers originations and purchases of loans. The Board will also consider any other loan data the bank may choose to provide, including data on loans outstanding, commitments and letters of credit.
(3) A bank may ask the Board to consider loans originated or purchased by consortia in which the bank participates or by third parties in which the bank has invested only if the loans meet the definition of community development loans and only in accordance with paragraph (d) of this section. The Board will not consider these loans under any criterion of the lending test except the community development lending criterion.
(b) Performance criteria. The Board evaluates a bank's lending performance pursuant to the following criteria:
(1) Lending activity. The number and amount of the bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and consumer loans, if applicable, in the bank's assessment area(s);
(2) Geographic distribution. The geographic distribution of the bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and consumer loans, if applicable, based on the loan location, including:
(ii) The dispersion of lending in the bank's assessment area(s); and
(iii) The number and amount of loans in low-, moderate-, middle-, and upper-income geographies in the bank's assessment area(s);
(3) Borrower characteristics. The distribution, particularly in the bank's assessment area(s), of the bank's home mortgage, small business, small farm, and consumer loans, if applicable, based on borrower characteristics, including the number and amount of:
(ii) Small business and small farm loans to businesses and farms with gross annual revenues of $1 million or less;
(4) Community development lending. The bank's community development lending, including the number and amount of community development loans, and their complexity and innovativeness; and
(5) Innovative or flexible lending practices. The bank's use of innovative or flexible lending practices in a safe and sound manner to address the credit needs of low- or moderate-income individuals or geographies.
(c) Affiliate lending. (1) At a bank's option, the Board will consider loans by an affiliate of the bank, if the bank provides data on the affiliate's loans pursuant to § 228.42.
(2) The Board considers affiliate lending subject to the following constraints:
(i) No affiliate may claim a loan origination or loan purchase if another institution claims the same loan origination or purchase; and
(ii) If a bank elects to have the Board consider loans within a particular lending category made by one or more of the bank's affiliates in a particular assessment area, the bank shall elect to have the Board consider, in accordance with paragraph (c)(1) of this section, all the loans within that lending category in that particular assessment area made by all of the bank's affiliates.
(3) The Board does not consider affiliate lending in assessing a bank's performance under paragraph (b)(2)(i) of this section.
(d) Lending by a consortium or a third party. Community development loans originated or purchased by a consortium in which the bank participates or by a third party in which the bank has invested:
(1) Will be considered, at the bank's option, if the bank reports the data pertaining to these loans under § 228.42(b)(2); and
(2) May be allocated among participants or investors, as they choose, for purposes of the lending test, except that no participant or investor:
(i) May claim a loan origination or loan purchase if another participant or investor claims the same loan origination or purchase; or
(ii) May claim loans accounting for more than its percentage share (based on the level of its participation or investment) of the total loans originated by the consortium or third party.
(e) Lending performance rating. The Board rates a bank's lending performance as provided in appendix A of this part.
Title 12 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.