12 CFR 345.12 - Definitions.
prev | next
For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(a) Affiliate means any company that controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with another company. The term control has the meaning given to that term in 12 U.S.C. 1841(a)(2), and a company is under common control with another company if both companies are directly or indirectly controlled by the same company.
(1) The median family income for the MSA, if a person or geography is located in an MSA, or for the metropolitan division, if a person or geography is located in an MSA that has been subdivided into metropolitan divisions; or
(2) The statewide nonmetropolitan median family income, if a person or geography is located outside an MSA.
(c) Assessment area means a geographic area delineated in accordance with § 345.41.
(d) Remote Service Facility (RSF) means an automated, unstaffed banking facility owned or operated by, or operated exclusively for, the bank, such as an automated teller machine, cash dispensing machine, point-of-sale terminal, or other remote electronic facility, at which deposits are received, cash dispersed, or money lent.
(e) Bank means a State nonmember bank, as that term is defined in section 3(e)(2) of the Federal Deposit Insurance Act, as amended (FDIA) (12 U.S.C. 1813(e)(2)), with Federally insured deposits, except as provided in § 345.11(c). The term bank also includes an insured State branch as defined in § 345.11(c).
(f) Branch means a staffed banking facility authorized as a branch, whether shared or unshared, including, for example, a mini-branch in a grocery store or a branch operated in conjunction with any other local business or nonprofit organization. The term “branch” only includes a “domestic branch” as that term is defined in section 3(o) of the FDIA (12 U.S.C. 1813(o)).
(1) Affordable housing (including multifamily rental housing) for low- or moderate-income individuals;
(3) Activities that promote economic development by financing businesses or farms that meet the size eligibility standards of the Small Business Administration's Development Company or Small Business Investment Company programs (13 CFR 121.301) or have gross annual revenues of $1 million or less;
(iii) Distressed or underserved nonmetropolitan middle-income geographies designated by the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, FDIC, and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, based on—
(B) Population size, density, and dispersion. Activities revitalize and stabilize geographies designated based on population size, density, and dispersion if they help to meet essential community needs, including needs of low- and moderate-income individuals; or
(i) Support, enable or facilitate projects or activities that meet the “eligible uses” criteria described in Section 2301(c) of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 (HERA), Public Law 110-289, 122 Stat. 2654, as amended, and are conducted in designated target areas identified in plans approved by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development in accordance with the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP);
(ii) Are provided no later than two years after the last date funds appropriated for the NSP are required to be spent by grantees; and
(iii) Benefit low-, moderate-, and middle-income individuals and geographies in the bank's assessment area(s) or areas outside the bank's assessment area(s) provided the bank has adequately addressed the community development needs of its assessment area(s).
(i) Has not been reported or collected by the bank or an affiliate for consideration in the bank's assessment as a home mortgage, small business, small farm, or consumer loan, unless it is a multifamily dwelling loan (as described in appendix A to part 203 of this title); and
(ii) Benefits the bank's assessment area(s) or a broader statewide or regional area that includes the bank's assessment area(s).
(3) Has not been considered in the evaluation of the bank's retail banking services under § 345.24(d).
(j) Consumer loan means a loan to one or more individuals for household, family, or other personal expenditures. A consumer loan does not include a home mortgage, small business, or small farm loan. Consumer loans include the following categories of loans:
(1) Motor vehicle loan, which is a consumer loan extended for the purchase of and secured by a motor vehicle;
(2) Credit card loan, which is a line of credit for household, family, or other personal expenditures that is accessed by a borrower's use of a “credit card,” as this term is defined in § 226.2 of this title;
(4) Other secured consumer loan, which is a secured consumer loan that is not included in one of the other categories of consumer loans; and
(5) Other unsecured consumer loan, which is an unsecured consumer loan that is not included in one of the other categories of consumer loans.
(k) Geography means a census tract delineated by the United States Bureau of the Census in the most recent decennial census.
(l) Home mortgage loan means a “home improvement loan,” “home purchase loan,” or a “refinancing” as defined in § 203.2 of this title.
(1) Low-income, which means an individual income that is less than 50 percent of the area median income or a median family income that is less than 50 percent in the case of a geography.
(2) Moderate-income, which means an individual income that is at least 50 percent and less than 80 percent of the area median income or a median family income that is at least 50 and less than 80 percent in the case of a geography.
(3) Middle-income, which means an individual income that is at least 80 percent and less than 120 percent of the area median income or a median family income that is at least 80 and less than 120 percent in the case of a geography.
(4) Upper-income, which means an individual income that is 120 percent or more of the area median income or a median family income that is 120 percent or more in the case of a geography.
(n) Limited purpose bank means a bank that offers only a narrow product line (such as credit card or motor vehicle loans) to a regional or broader market and for which a designation as a limited purpose bank is in effect, in accordance with § 345.25(b).
(2) A home mortgage loan is located in the geography where the property to which the loan relates is located; and
(3) A small business or small farm loan is located in the geography where the main business facility or farm is located or where the loan proceeds otherwise will be applied, as indicated by the borrower.
(p) Loan production office means a staffed facility, other than a branch, that is open to the public and that provides lending-related services, such as loan information and applications.
(q) Metropolitan division means a metropolitan division as defined by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(r) MSA means a metropolitan statistical area as defined by the Director of the Office of Management and Budget.
(t) Qualified investment means a lawful investment, deposit, membership share, or grant that has as its primary purpose community development.
(1) Definition. Small bank means a bank that, as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years, had assets of less than $1.186 billion. Intermediate small bank means a small bank with assets of at least $296 million as of December 31 of both of the prior two calendar years and less than $1.186 billion as of December 31 of either of the prior two calendar years.
(2) Adjustment. The dollar figures in paragraph (u)(1) of this section shall be adjusted annually and published by the FDIC, based on the year-to-year change in the average of the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers, not seasonally adjusted, for each twelve-month period ending in November, with rounding to the nearest million.
(v) Small business loan means a loan included in “loans to small businesses” as defined in the instructions for preparation of the Consolidated Report of Condition and Income.
(w) Small farm loan means a loan included in “loans to small farms” as defined in the instructions for preparation of the Consolidated Report of Condition and Income.
(x) Wholesale bank means a bank that is not in the business of extending home mortgage, small business, small farm, or consumer loans to retail customers, and for which a designation as a wholesale bank is in effect, in accordance with § 345.25(b).
[60 FR 22201, May 4, 1995, as amended at 60 FR 66050, Dec. 20, 1995; 61 FR 21364, May 10, 1996; 69 FR 41187, July 8, 2004; 70 FR 44269, Aug. 2, 2005; 71 FR 78337, Dec. 29, 2006; 72 FR 72573, Dec. 21, 2007; 73 FR 78155, Dec. 22, 2008; 74 FR 68664, Dec. 29, 2009; 75 FR 79286, Dec. 20, 2010; 75 FR 82219, Dec. 30, 2010; 76 FR 79531, Dec. 22, 2011; 77 FR 75523, Dec. 21, 2012]
Title 12 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.