12 CFR 544.8 - Communication between members of a Federal mutual savings association.
prev | next
(a) Right of communication with other members. A member of a Federal mutual savings association has the right to communicate, as prescribed in paragraph (b) of this section, with other members of the Federal savings association regarding any matter related to the Federal savings association's affairs, except for “improper” communications, as defined in paragraph (c) of this section. The association may not defeat that right by redeeming a savings member's savings account in the Federal mutual savings association.
(b) Member communication procedures. If a member of a Federal mutual savings association desires to communicate with other members, the following procedures shall be followed:
(2) If the proposed communication is in connection with a meeting of the Federal savings association's members, the request shall be given at least thirty days before the annual meeting or 10 days before a special meeting;
(ii) The nature and extent of the member's interest in the Federal savings association at the time the information is given;
(i) The number of the Federal savings association's members and the estimated reasonable cost to the Federal savings association of mailing to them the proposed communication; or
(ii) Notification that the Federal savings association has determined not to mail the communication because it is “improper”, as defined in paragraph (c) of this section;
(6) After receiving the amount of the estimated costs of mailing and sufficient copies of the communication, the Federal savings association shall mail the communication to all members, by a class of mail specified by the requesting member, either—
(iii) As soon as practicable before the meeting, if the communication is in connection with a special meeting; or
(7) If the Federal savings association refuses to mail the proposed communication, it shall return the requesting member's materials together with a written statement of the specific reasons for refusal, and shall simultaneously send to the Regional Director two copies each of the requesting member's materials, the Federal savings association's written statement, and any other relevant material. The materials shall be sent within:
after the Federal savings association receives the request for communication.
(c) Improper communication. A communication is an “improper communication” if it contains material which:
(ii) Omits a material fact necessary to make the statements therein not false or misleading, or necessary to correct a statement in an earlier communication on the same subject which has become false or misleading;
(2) Relates to a personal claim or a personal grievance, or is solicitous of personal gain or business advantage by or on behalf of any party;
(3) Relates to any matter, including a general economic, political, racial, religious, social, or similar cause, that is not significantly related to the business of the Federal savings association or is not within the control of the Federal savings association; or
[54 FR 49492, Nov. 30, 1989, as amended at 60 FR 66717, Dec. 26, 1995. Redesignated at 61 FR 64018, Dec. 3, 1996.]
Title 12 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.