(a) Evasion of law or regulation. No savings and loan holding company or subsidiary thereof which is not a savings association shall, for or on behalf of a subsidiary savings association, engage in any activity or render any services for the purpose or with the effect of evading any law or regulation applicable to such savings association.
(b) Unrelated business activity. No savings and loan holding company or subsidiary thereof that is not a savings association shall commence any business activity at any time, or continue any business activity after the end of the two-year period beginning on the date on which such company received approval to become a savings and loan holding company that is subject to the limitations of this paragraph (b), except (in either case) the following:
(1) Furnishing or performing management services for a savings association subsidiary of such company;
(2) Conducting an insurance agency or an escrow business;
(3) Holding, managing, or liquidating assets owned by or acquired from a subsidiary savings association of such company;
(4) Holding or managing properties used or occupied by a subsidiary savings association of such company;
(5) Acting as trustee under deed of trust;
(6) Any other activity: (i) That the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System has permitted for bank holding companies pursuant to regulations promulgated under section 4(c) of the Bank Holding Company Act; or
(ii) Is set forth in § 584.2-1 of this part, subject to the limitations therein; or
(7) In the case of a savings and loan holding company, purchasing, holding, or disposing of stock acquired in connection with a qualified stock issuance if prior approval for the acquisition of such stock by such savings and loan holding company is granted by the Office pursuant to § 574.8 of this chapter.
Notwithstanding the provisions of this paragraph (b), any savings and loan holding company that, between March 5, 1987 and August 10, 1987, received approval pursuant to 12 U.S.C. 1730a(e), as then in effect, to acquire control of a savings association shall not continue any business activity other than those
Code of Federal Regulations
- Page 546
activities set forth in this paragraph (b) after August 10, 1987.
(c) Treatment of certain holding companies. If a director or officer of a savings and loan holding company, or an individual who owns, controls, or holds with the power to vote (or proxies representing) more than 25 percent of the voting shares of a savings and loan holding company, directly or indirectly controls more than one savings association, any savings and loan holding company controlled by such individual shall be subject to the activities limitations contained in paragraph (b) of this section, to the same extent such limitations apply to multiple savings and loan holding companies pursuant to §§ 584.2, 584.2a, 584.2-1 and 584.2-2 of this part.
[54 FR 49708, Nov. 30, 1989, as amended at 63 FR 71213, Dec. 24, 1998; 72 72238, Dec. 20, 2007]
Title 12 published on 2012-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.