(a)Purpose. This part governs the treatment of nonpublic personal information about consumers by the credit unions listed in paragraph (b) of this section. This part:
(1) Requires a credit union to provide notice to members about its privacy policies and practices;
(2) Describes the conditions under which a credit union may disclose nonpublic personal information about consumers to nonaffiliated third parties; and
(3) Provides a method for consumers to prevent a credit union from disclosing that information to most nonaffiliated third parties by “opting out” of that disclosure, subject to the exceptions in §§ 716.13, 716.14, and 716.15.
(1) This part applies only to nonpublic personal information about individuals who obtain financial products or services for personal, family or household purposes. This part does not apply to information about companies or about individuals who obtain financial products or services for business, commercial or agricultural purposes. This part applies to federally-insured credit unions. This part refers to a federally-insured credit union as “you” or “the credit union.”
(2) Nothing in this part modifies, limits, or supersedes the standards governing individually identifiable financial information promulgated by the Secretary of Health and Human Services under the authority of §§ 262 and 264 of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (42 U.S.C. 1320d-1320d-8).
Title 12 published on 2013-01-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 12.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.