Procedures for the handling of lawsuits against NASA employees arising within the scope of their office or employment.
The following procedures shall be followed in the event that a civil action or proceeding is brought, in any court, against any employee of NASA (or against the estate) for injury or loss of property or personal injury or death, resulting from the NASA employee's activities while acting within the scope of office or employment:
(a) After being served with process or pleadings in such an action or proceeding, the employee (or the executor(rix) or administrator(rix) of the estate) shall immediately deliver all such process and pleadings or an attested true copy thereof, together with a fully detailed report of the circumstances of the accident giving rise to the court action or proceeding, to the following officials:
(1) The Assistant General Counsel for Litigation insofar as actions or proceedings against employees of NASA Headquarters are concerned; or
(2) The Chief Counsel of the NASA Installation at which the employee is employed, insofar as actions against other than NASA Headquarters employees are concerned.
(b) Upon receipt of such process and pleadings, the Assistant General Counsel for Litigation or the Chief Counsel of the NASA Installation receiving the same shall furnish to the U.S. Attorney for the district embracing the place where the action or proceeding is brought and, if appropriate, the Director, Torts Branch, Civil Division, Department of Justice, the following:
(1) Copies of all such process and pleadings in the action or proceeding promptly upon receipt thereof; and
(2) A report containing a statement of the circumstances of the incident giving rise to the action or proceeding, and all data bearing upon the question of whether the employee was acting within the scope of office or employment with NASA at the time of the incident, at the earliest possible date, or within such time as shall be fixed by the U.S. Attorney upon request.
(c) The Assistant General Counsel for Litigation or a Chief Counsel acting pursuant to paragraph (b) of this section shall submit the following documents to the General Counsel, who is hereby designated to receive such documents on behalf of the Administrator:
(1) Copies of all process and pleadings submitted to a U.S. Attorney in accordance with paragraph (b).
(2) In addition, where the action or proceeding is for damages in excess of $25,000, or where (in the opinion of the Chief Counsel) such action or proceeding involves a new precedent, a new point of law, or a question of policy, copies of reports and all other papers submitted to the U.S. Attorney.
Title 14 published on 2012-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.