§ 234.13Reports by air carriers on incidents involving animals during air transport.
(a) Any air carrier that provides scheduled passenger air transportation shall, within 15 days of the end of the month to which the information applies, submit to the United States Department of Transportation's Aviation Consumer Protection Division a report on any incidents involving the loss, injury, or death of an animal during air transport provided by the air carrier.
(b) The report shall be made in the form and manner set forth in reporting directives issued by the Deputy General Counsel for the U.S. Department of Transportation and shall contain the following information:
(1) Carrier and flight number;
(2) Date and time of the incident;
(3) Description of the animal, including name, if applicable;
(4) Identification of the owner(s) and/or guardian of the animal;
(5) Narrative description of the incident;
(6) Narrative description of the cause of the incident;
(7) Narrative description of any corrective action taken in response to the incident; and
(8) Name, title, address, and telephone number of the individual filing the report on behalf of the air carrier.
(c) For purposes of this section:
(1) The air transport of an animal includes the entire period during which an animal is in the custody of an air carrier, from check-in of the animal prior to departure until the animal is returned to the owner or guardian of the animal at the final destination of the animal; and
(2) Animal means any warm or cold blooded animal which, at the time of transportation, is being kept as a pet in a family household in the United States.