14 CFR Part 1216, Subpart 1216, Appendix A to Subpart 1216.3 of Part 1216 - Acronyms and Definitions
prev | next
Appendix A to Subpart 1216.3 ofPart 1216—Acronyms and Definitions
CEQCouncil on Environmental Quality
CFRCode of Federal Regulations
CWAClean Water Act
CZMACoastal Zone Management Act
DoI(U.S.) Department of the Interior
EMDEnvironmental Management Division
EISEnvironmental Impact Statement
FONSIFinding of No Significant Impact
GSAGeneral Services Administration
NEPANational Environmental Policy Act
NHPANational Historic Preservation Act
SEOSenior Environmental Official
OGCOffice of the General Counsel
PPOPlanetary Protection Office
RECRecord of Environmental Consideration
RODRecord of Decision
U.S.C.United States Code
1. A2 Mission Multiple—The A2 Mission Multiple is a calculated value based on the total amount of radioactive material being launched. This value is used in defining the level of review and approval required for launch.
2. Earth Return Mission (also known as a Sample Return)—A subcategory of missions that would collect extraterrestrial materials from solar system bodies and return them to Earth.
3. NASA Senior Environmental Official—The Senior NASA Headquarters Official responsible for providing executive and functional leadership for environmental compliance. As of January 1, 2011, the SEO is the Assistant Administrator for Strategic Infrastructure.
4. Record of Environmental Consideration—A brief document that is used to describe a proposed action, identify the applicable categorical exclusion, and explain why further environmental analysis is not required.
5. Restricted Earth Return—A subcategory of Earth Return Missions which requires additional measures to ensure that any potential indigenous life form would be contained so that it could not impact humans or Earth's environment.
6. Space Flight Projects/Programs—Those NASA actions that develop products intended for use in space and/or that support ground and space operations for products in space.
7. Unrestricted Earth Return—NASA Procedural Requirements define this as a subcategory of Earth Return Missions that would collect extraterrestrial materials from solar system bodies (deemed by scientific opinion to have no indigenous life forms) and return those samples to Earth. No planetary protection measures are required for the inbound (return to Earth) phase of the mission.
Title 14 published on 2014-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.