Pt. 774, Supp. 2
Supplement No. 2 to Part 774
—General Technology and Software Notes
1. General Technology Note. The export of “technology” that is “required” for the “development”, “production”, or “use” of items on the Commerce Control List is controlled according to the provisions in each Category.
“Technology” “required” for the “development”, “production”, or “use” of a controlled product remains controlled even when applicable to a product controlled at a lower level.
License Exception TSU is available for “technology” that is the minimum necessary for the installation, operation, maintenance (checking), and repair of those products that are eligible for License Exceptions or that are exported under a license.
N.B.: This does not allow release under a License Exception of the repair “technology” controlled by 1E002.e, 1E002.f, 8E002.a, or 8E002.b.
N.B.: The “minimum necessary” excludes “development” or “production” technology and permits “use” technology only to the extent “required” to ensure safe and efficient use of the product. Individual ECCNs may further restrict export of “minimum necessary” information.
2. General Software Note. License Exception TSU (“mass market” software) is available to all destinations, except countries in Country Group E:1 of Supplement No. 1 to part 740 of the EAR, for release of software that is generally available to the public by being:
a. Sold from stock at retail selling points, without restriction, by means of:
1. Over the counter transactions;
2. Mail order transactions;
3. Electronic transactions; or
4. Telephone call transactions; and
b. Designed for installation by the user without further substantial support by the supplier.
The General Software Note does not apply to “software” controlled by Category 5—part 2
(“Information Security”). For “software” controlled by Category 5, part 2
, see Supplement No. 1 to part 774
, Category 5, part 2
, Note 3—Cryptography Note.