16 CFR 318.2 - Definitions.
(a) Breach of security means, with respect to unsecured PHR identifiable health information of an individual in a personal health record, acquisition of such information without the authorization of the individual. Unauthorized acquisition will be presumed to include unauthorized access to unsecured PHR identifiable health information unless the vendor of personal health records, PHR related entity, or third party service provider that experienced the breach has reliable evidence showing that there has not been, or could not reasonably have been, unauthorized acquisition of such information.
(b) Business associate means a business associate under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Public Law 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936, as defined in 45 CFR 160.103.
(c) HIPAA-covered entity means a covered entity under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, Public Law 104-191, 110 Stat. 1936, as defined in 45 CFR 160.103.
(d) Personal health record means an electronic record of PHR identifiable health information on an individual that can be drawn from multiple sources and that is managed, shared, and controlled by or primarily for the individual.
(e) PHR identifiable health information means “individually identifiable health information,” as defined in section 1171(6) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1320d(6)), and, with respect to an individual, information:
(2) That identifies the individual or with respect to which there is a reasonable basis to believe that the information can be used to identify the individual.
(f) PHR related entity means an entity, other than a HIPAA-covered entity or an entity to the extent that it engages in activities as a business associate of a HIPAA-covered entity, that:
(2) Offers products or services through the Web sites of HIPAA-covered entities that offer individuals personal health records; or
(3) Accesses information in a personal health record or sends information to a personal health record.
(g) State means any of the several States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands.
(1) Provides services to a vendor of personal health records in connection with the offering or maintenance of a personal health record or to a PHR related entity in connection with a product or service offered by that entity; and
(2) Accesses, maintains, retains, modifies, records, stores, destroys, or otherwise holds, uses, or discloses unsecured PHR identifiable health information as a result of such services.
(i) Unsecured means PHR identifiable information that is not protected through the use of a technology or methodology specified by the Secretary of Health and Human Services in the guidance issued under section 13402(h)(2) of the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act of 2009.
Title 16 published on 2013-01-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.