(a)General rule. Except as otherwise authorized in this subpart, you must not, directly or through any affiliate, disclose any nonpublic personal information about a consumer to a nonaffiliated third party other than as described in the initial notice that you provided to that consumer under § 248.4, unless:
(1) You have provided to the consumer a clear and conspicuous revised notice that accurately describes your policies and practices;
(2) You have provided to the consumer a new opt out notice;
(3) You have given the consumer a reasonable opportunity, before you disclose the information to the nonaffiliated third party, to opt out of the disclosure; and
(4) The consumer does not opt out.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by §§ 248.13, 248.14, and 248.15, you must provide a revised notice before you:
(i) Disclose a new category of nonpublic personal information to any nonaffiliated third party;
(ii) Disclose nonpublic personal information to a new category of nonaffiliated third party; or
(iii) Disclose nonpublic personal information about a former customer to a nonaffiliated third party, if that former customer has not had the opportunity to exercise an opt out right regarding that disclosure.
(2) A revised notice is not required if you disclose nonpublic personal information to a new nonaffiliated third party that you adequately described in your prior notice.
(c)Delivery. When you are required to deliver a revised privacy notice by this section, you must deliver it according to § 248.9.
Title 17 published on 2013-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 17.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.