17 CFR 404.4 - Records to be made and preserved by government securities brokers and dealers that are financial institutions.
(a) Records to be made and kept. Every financial institution that is a government securities broker or dealer and that is not exempt from this part pursuant to part 401 of this chapter shall comply with the requirements of §§ 404.2 and 404.3 unless such financial institution:
(1) Is subject to 12 CFR part 12 (relating to national banks), 12 CFR part 208 (relating to state member banks of the Federal Reserve System) or 12 CFR part 344 (relating to state banks that are not members of the Federal Reserve System), or is a United States branch or agency of a foreign bank and complies with 12 CFR part 12 (for federally licensed branches and agencies of foreign banks) or 12 CFR part 208 (for uninsured state-licensed branches and agencies of foreign banks) or 12 CFR part 344 (for insured state licensed branches and agencies of foreign banks);
(2) Complies with the recordkeeping requirements of § 450.4(c), (d) and (f) of this chapter; and
(A) A securities record or ledger reflecting separately for each government security as of the settlement dates all “long” or “short” positions (including government securities that are the subjects of repurchase or reverse repurchase agreements) carried by such financial institution for its own account or for the account of its customers or others (except securities held in a fiduciary capacity) and showing the location of all government securities long and the offsetting position to all government securities short, including long security count differences and short security count differences classified by the date of the count and verification in which they were discovered, and in all cases the name or designation of the account in which each position is carried;
(B) A complete and current Form G-FIN-4 (§ 449.3 of this chapter) or Form U-4 (promulgated by a self-regulatory organization) or Form MSD-4 (as required for associated persons of bank municipal securities dealers) for each associated person as defined in § 400.3 of this chapter;
(C) A Form G-FIN-5 (§ 449.4 of this chapter) or Form U-5 (promulgated by a self-regulatory organization) or Form MSD-5 (as required for associated persons of bank municipal securities dealers) for each associated person whose association has been terminated as provided in § 400.4(d)(2) of this chapter; and
(D) A complete and current Form G-FIN (§ 449.1 of this chapter) and, if applicable, a Form G-FINW (§ 449.2 of this chapter).
(ii) For purposes of paragraph (a)(3)(i)(A) of this section, “safekeeping” may be shown as a location of any securities long as long as the financial institution complies with the requirements of part 450 of this chapter with respect to such securities.
(1) The records required by paragraph (a)(3)(i)(A) of this section shall be preserved for not less than six years, the first two years in an easily accessible place.
(2) The records required by paragraphs (a)(3)(i) (B) and (C) of this section shall be preserved for at least three years after the person who is the subject of the record has terminated his employment and any other association with the government securities broker or dealer function of the financial institution.
(3) The records required by paragraph (a)(3)(i)(D) of this section shall be preserved for at least three years after the financial institution has notified the appropriate regulatory agency that it has ceased to function as a government securities broker or dealer.
(c) Effective date. This section shall be effective on July 25, 1987, except that until October 31, 1987, a financial institution government securities broker or dealer is not required to make and keep current the securities position record required by paragraph (a)(3)(i)(A) of this section.(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1535-0089)
Title 17 published on 2014-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.