(a) “Aggregating entity” means a single entity (e.g., a parent company, affiliate, or organizational component) that is combined with other entities, as specified in paragraph (i) of this section, to form a reporting entity. In those cases where an entity has no affiliates, the aggregating entity is the same as the reporting entity.
(b) “Control” means having the authority to exercise investment discretion over the purchase, sale, retention or financing of specific Treasury securities. Only one entity should be considered to have investment discretion over a particular position.
(c) “Gross financing position” is the sum of the gross par amounts of a security issue received from financing transactions, including reverse repurchase agreement transactions, bonds borrowed, and as collateral for financial derivatives and other securities transactions (e.g., margin loans). In calculating the gross financing position, a reporting entity may not net its positions against repurchase agreement transactions, securities loaned, or securities pledged as collateral for financial derivatives and other securities transactions.
(d) “Large position threshold” means, with respect to a reportable position, the dollar par amount such position must equal or exceed in order for a reporting entity to be required to submit a large position report. The large position threshold will be announced by the Department and may vary with each notice of request to report large position information and with each specified Treasury security. However, under no circumstances will a large position threshold be less than $2 billion.
(e) “Net fails position” is the net par amount of “fails to receive” less “fails to deliver” in the same security. The net fails position, as reported, may not be less than zero.
(f) “Net trading position” is the net sum of the following respective positions in the specific security issue:
(1) Cash/immediate net settled positions;
(2) Net when-issued positions;
(3) Net forward positions, including next-day settling;
(4) Net futures contract positions that require delivery of the specific security; and
(5) Net holdings of STRIPS principal components of the security.
(g) “Recently-issued” means:
(1) With respect to Treasury securities that are issued quarterly or more frequently, the three most recent issues of the security (e.g., in early April, the January, February, and March 2-year notes).
(2) With respect to Treasury securities that are issued less frequently than quarterly, the two most recent issues of the security.
(3) With respect to a reopened security, the entire issue of a reopened security (older and newer portions) based on the date the new portion of the reopened security is issued by the Department (or for when-issued securities, the scheduled issue date).
(4) For all Treasury securities, a security announced to be issued or auctioned but unissued (when-issued), starting from the date of the issuance announcement. The most recent issue of the security is the one most recently announced.
(5) Treasury security issues other than those specified in paragraphs (g)(1) and (2) of this section, provided that such large position information is necessary and appropriate for monitoring the impact of concentrations of positions in Treasury securities.
(h) “Reportable position” is the sum of the net trading positions, gross financing positions and net fails positions in a specified issue of Treasury securities collectively controlled by a reporting entity.
(i) “Reporting entity” means any corporation, partnership, person or other entity and its affiliates, as further provided herein. For the purposes of this definition, an affiliate is any: entity that is more than 50% owned, directly or indirectly, by the aggregating entity or by any other affiliate of the aggregating entity; person or entity that owns, directly or indirectly, more than 50% of the aggregating entity; person or entity that owns, directly or indirectly, more than 50% of any other affiliate of the aggregating entity; or entity, a majority of whose board of directors or a majority of whose general partners are directors or officers of the aggregating entity or any affiliate of the aggregating entity.
(1) Subject to the conditions prescribed in Appendix A, one or more aggregating entities, either separately or together with one or more other aggregating entities, may be recognized as a separate reporting entity.
(2) Notwithstanding this definition, any persons or entities that intentionally act together with respect to the investing in, retention of, or financing of, Treasury securities are considered, collectively, to be one reporting entity.
[61 FR 48348, Sept. 12 1996, as amended at 67 FR 77414, Dec. 18, 2002]
Title 17 published on 2012-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.