(a) Automatic authorization. The certificate holder is authorized pursuant to section 7(b) of the Natural Gas Act to abandon gas supply facilities, and:
(1) A receipt or delivery point, or related supply or delivery lateral, provided the facility has not been used to provide:
(i) Interruptible transportation service during the one year period prior to the effective date of the proposed abandonment, or
(ii) Firm transportation service during the one year period prior to the effective date of the proposed abandonment, provided the point is no longer covered under a firm contract; or
(2) A facility that did or could now qualify for automatic authorization as described in § 157.203(b), provided the certificate holder obtains the written consent of each customer served using the facility during the past 12 months.
(b) Prior notice. Subject to the notice requirements of § 157.205, the certificate holder is authorized pursuant to section 7(b) of the Natural Gas Act to abandon:
(1) Any receipt or delivery point if all of the existing customers of the pipeline served through the receipt or delivery point consent in writing to the abandonment. When filing a request for authorization of the proposed abandonment under the notice procedures of § 157.205, the certificate holder shall notify, in writing, the State public service commission having regulatory authority over retail service to the customers served through the delivery point.
(2) Any other facility that did or could now qualify for prior notice authorization as described in § 157.203(c), provided the certificate holder obtains the written consent of each customer served using the facility during the past 12 months.
(c) Contents of request. In addition to the requirements of § 157.205(b), requests filed for activities described under paragraph (b) shall describe:
(1) The location, type, size, and length of the subject facilities. For facilities not constructed or acquired under blanket certificate authority, an estimate of the current cost to replicate such facilities;
(2) The docket authorizing the construction and operation of the facilities to be abandoned;
(3) For each facility an oath statement that all of the customers served during the past year by the subject facilities have consented to the abandonment, or an explanation of why the customers' consent is not available;
(4) A proposed accounting treatment of any facilities to be abandoned.
(5) For any abandonment resulting in earth disturbance, a USGS 7 1/2 -minute-series (scale 1:24,000 or 1:25,000) topographic map (or map of equivalent or greater detail, as appropriate) showing the location of the proposed facilities and a concise analysis discussing the relevant issues outlined in § 380.12 of this chapter.
(d) Reporting requirements. The annual report filed by the certificate holder shall contain, for each abandonment authorized under paragraph (a) of this section:
(1) A description of the facilities abandoned under this section. For facilities not constructed or acquired under blanket certificate authority, an estimate of the current cost to replicate such facilities;
(2) The docket number(s) of the certificate(s) authorizing the construction and operation of the facilities to be abandoned;
(3) The accounting treatment of the facilities abandoned; and
(4) The date earth disturbance, if any, related to the abandonment began and the date the facilities were abandoned; and
(5) The date of the agreements obtained pursuant to § 157.206(b)(3), if earth disturbance was involved.
[Order 234, 47 FR 24266, June 4, 1982, as amended by Order 234-A, 47 FR 38877, Sept. 3, 1982; Order 603, 64 FR 26609, May 14, 1999; Order 603-A, 64 FR 54536, Oct. 7, 1999; Order 686, 71 FR 63694, Oct. 31, 2006; 72 FR 54820, Sept. 27, 2007]
Title 18 published on 2012-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 18.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.