18 CFR 2.55 - Definition of terms used in section 7(c).
For the purposes of section 7(c) of the Natural Gas Act, as amended, the word facilities as used therein shall be interpreted to exclude:
(1) Installations (excluding gas compressors) which are merely auxiliary or appurtenant to an authorized or proposed transmission pipeline system and which are installations only for the purpose of obtaining more efficient or more economical operation of the authorized or proposed transmission facilities, such as: Valves; drips; pig launchers/receivers; yard and station piping; cathodic protection equipment; gas cleaning, cooling and dehydration equipment; residual refining equipment; water pumping, treatment and cooling equipment; electrical and communication equipment; and buildings.
(2) Advance notification. One of the following requirements will apply to any specified auxiliary installation. If auxiliary facilities are to be installed:
(ii) On, or at the same time as, certificated facilities which are not yet in service (except those authorized under the automatic procedures of part 157 of subpart F of this chapter), then a description of the auxiliary facilities and their locations must be provided to the Commission at least 30 days in advance of their installation; or
(iii) On, or at the same time as facilities that are proposed, then the auxiliary facilities must be described in the environmental report specified in § 380.12 or in a supplemental filing while the application is pending.
(1) Facilities which constitute the replacement of existing facilities that have or will soon become physically deteriorated or obsolete, to the extent that replacement is deemed advisable, if:
(i) The replacement will not result in a reduction or abandonment of service through the facilities;
(ii) The replacement facilities will have a substantially equivalent designed delivery capacity, will be located in the same right-of-way or on the same site as the facilities being replaced, and will be constructed using the temporary work space used to construct the original facility (See appendix A to this part 2 for guidelines on what is considered to be the appropriate work area in this context);
(iii) Except as described in paragraph (b)(2) of this section, the company files notification of such activity with the Commission at least 30 days prior to commencing construction.
(2) Advance notification not required. The advance notification described in paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section is not required if:
(i) The cost of the replacement project does not exceed the cost limit specified in Column 1 of Table I of § 157.208(d) of this chapter; or
(ii) U.S. Department of Transportation safety regulations require that the replacement activity be performed immediately;
(3) Contents of the advance notification. The advance notification described in paragraph (b)(1)(iii) of this section must include the following information:
(i) A brief description of the facilities to be replaced (including pipeline size and length, compression horsepower, design capacity, and cost of construction);
(ii) Current U.S. Geological Survey 7.5-minute series topographic maps showing the location of the facilities to be replaced; and
(iii) A description of the procedures to be used for erosion control, revegetation and maintenance, and stream and wetland crossings.
(4) Annual report. On or before May 1 of each year, a company must file (in accordance with filing procedures posted on the Commission's Web site at http://www.ferc.gov. ) an annual report that lists for the previous calendar year each replacement project that was completed pursuant to paragraph (b)(1) of this section and that was exempt from the advance notification requirement pursuant to paragraph (b)(2) of this section. For each such replacement project, the company must include all of the information described in paragraph (b)(3) of this section. Exception. A company does not have to include in this annual report any above-ground replacement project that did not involve compression facilities or the use of earthmoving equipment.
(Sec. 7, 52 Stat. 824; 15 U.S.C. 717f)
[Order 148, 14 FR 681, Feb. 16, 1949, as amended by Order 220, 25 FR 2363, Mar. 19, 1960; Order 241, 27 FR 510, Jan. 18, 1962; Order 148-A, 38 FR 11450, May 8, 1973; 55 FR 33015, Aug. 13, 1990; Order 544, 57 FR 46495, Oct. 9, 1992; Order 544-A, 58 FR 57735, Oct. 27, 1993; Order 603, 64 FR 26603, May 14, 1999; Order 603-A, 64 FR 54535, Oct. 7, 1999; 65 FR 18221, Apr. 7, 2000; Order 737, 75 FR 43402, July 26, 2010; 77 FR 8095, Feb. 14, 2012]
Title 18 published on 2013-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.