Evidence of active service and separation from active service.
(a) General. When you file an application for a monthly benefit or lump-sum death payment based on the active service of a World War II or post-World War II veteran, you must submit evidence of—
(1) Your entitlement as required by subpart H of this part or other evidence that may be expressly required;
(2) The veteran's period in active service of the United States; and
(3) The veteran's type of separation from active service of the United States.
(b) Evidence we accept. We accept as proof of a veteran's active service and separation from active service—
(1) An original certificate of discharge, or an original certificate of service, from the appropriate military service, from the United States Public Health Service, or from the United States Coast and Geodetic Survey;
(2) A certified copy of the original certificate of discharge or service made by the State, county, city agency or department in which the original certificate is recorded;
(3) A certification from the appropriate military service, United States Public Health Service, or United States Coast and Geodetic Survey showing the veteran's period of active service and type of separation;
(4) A certification from a local selective service board showing the veteran's period of active service and type of separation; or
(5) Other evidence that proves the veteran's period of active service and type of separation.
Title 20 published on 2012-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 20.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.