§ 814.100Purpose and scope.Link to an amendment published at 79 FR 1740, Jan. 10, 2014.
(a) This subpart H implements section 520(m) of the act. The purpose of section 520(m) is, to the extent consistent with the protection of the public health and safety and with ethical standards, to encourage the discovery and use of devices intended to benefit patients in the treatment or diagnosis of diseases or conditions that affect or are manifested in fewer than 4,000 individuals in the United States per year. This subpart provides procedures for obtaining:
(1) HUD designation of a medical device; and
(2) Marketing approval for the HUD notwithstanding the absence of reasonable assurance of effectiveness that would otherwise be required under sections 514 and 515 of the act.
(b) Although a HUD may also have uses that differ from the humanitarian use, applicants seeking approval of any non-HUD use shall submit a PMA as required under § 814.20, or a premarket notification as required under part 807 of this chapter.
(c) Obtaining marketing approval for a HUD involves two steps:
(1) Obtaining designation of the device as a HUD from FDA's Office of Orphan Products Development, and
(2) Submitting an HDE to the Office of Device Evaluation (ODE), Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH), the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), or the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER), as applicable.
(d) A person granted an exemption under section 520(m) of the act shall submit periodic reports as described in § 814.126(b).
(e) FDA may suspend or withdraw approval of an HDE after providing notice and an opportunity for an informal hearing.
At 79 FR 1740, Jan. 10, 2014, § 814.100 was amended by redesignating paragraphs (b) through (e) as paragraphs (d) through (g), respectively; redesignating paragraph (a) as paragraph (b), and removing the first sentence of redesignated paragraph (b); and adding new paragraphs (a) and (c), effective Apr. 10, 2014. For the convenience of the user, the added text is set forth as follows:
§ 814.100Purpose and scope.
(a) This subpart H implements sections 515A and 520(m) of the act.
(c) Section 515A of the act is intended to ensure the submission of readily available information concerning:
(1) Any pediatric subpopulations (neonates, infants, children, adolescents) that suffer from the disease or condition that the device is intended to treat, diagnose, or cure; and
(2) The number of affected pediatric patients.
Title 21 published on 2014-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 21.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.