22 CFR 142.62 - Health, welfare, social, and other services.
(a) General. In providing health, welfare, social and other services or benefits, a recipient may not, on the basis of handicap:
(2) Afford a qualified handicapped person an opportunity to receive benefits or services that are not equal to those offered nonhandicapped persons;
(3) Provide a qualified handicapped person with benefits or services that are not as effective (as defined in § 142.4(b)) as the benefits or services provided to others;
(4) Provide benefits or services in a manner that limits or has the effect of limiting the participation of qualified handicapped persons; or
(5) Provide different or separate benefits or services to handicapped persons except where necessary to provide qualified handicapped persons with benefits and services that are as effective as those provided to others.
(b) Notice. A recipient that provides notice concerning benefits or services or written material concerning waivers of rights or consent to treatment shall take such steps as are necessary to ensure that qualified handicapped persons, including those with impaired sensory or speaking skills, are not denied effective notice because of their handicap.
(c) Emergency treatment for the hearing impaired. A recipient hospital that provides health services or benefits shall establish a procedure for effective communication with persons with impaired hearing for the purpose of providing emergency health care.
(1) A recipient to which this subpart applies that employs 15 or more persons shall provide appropriate auxiliary aids to persons with impaired sensory, manual, speaking or other skills (where necessary) to afford such persons an equal opportunity to benefit from the service in question.
(2) The Secretary may require recipients with fewer than 15 employees to provide auxiliary aids where the provision of aids would not significantly impair the ability of the recipient to provide its benefits or services.
Title 22 published on 2013-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.