22 CFR 203.2 - Definitions.
As used in this part:
(a) Cooperative Development Organization (CDO) means an organization designated by USAID as a voluntary, independent business enterprise formed to meet specific needs of its members through a common venture.
(b) Foreign Assistance Act (FAA) means the Foreign Assistance Act of 1961, as amended, 22 U.S.C. 2151, et seq.
(c) General public means citizens and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). The general public does not include government agencies in the United States or abroad, or public international organizations such as the United Nations and the World Health Organization.
(d) Headquarters means the principal executive office where legal, accounting, and administrative information may be accessed in the daily course of conducting business.
(1) Is non-U.S. based in that it is organized under the laws of the country in which it is domiciled;
(2) Is a private nongovernmental organization (NGO) that solicits and receives cash contributions from the general public;
(3) Is a charitable organization in that it is nonprofit and tax exempt under the laws of its country of domicile and operation, and is not a university, college, accredited degree-granting institution of education, private foundation, hospital, organization engaged exclusively in research or scientific activities, church, synagogue, mosque or other similar entities organized primarily for religious purposes; and
(4) Conducts, or anticipates conducting, program activities in one or more countries other than its country of origin that are consistent with the general purposes of the Foreign Assistance Act and/or Public Law 480.
(5) Is not recognized as a Public International Organization according to USAID's Automated Directives System (ADS) 308.3.
(f) Local Private Voluntary Organization (LPVO) means a non-U.S. based PVO that meets the definition of an International Private Voluntary Organization, except that it operates only in the same foreign country in which it is organized. LPVOs are not required to register with USAID/Washington but USAID Missions may require some other eligibility method when making awards.
(g) Non-U.S. Private Voluntary Organization (Non-U.S. PVO) means an entity that meets the definition of a U.S. PVO, but is not headquartered in the United States. Non-U.S. PVOs include both Local Private Voluntary Organizations and International Private Voluntary Organizations.
(h) Nongovernmental Organization (NGO) means any nongovernmental organization or entity, whether nonprofit or profit-making.
(i) Nonprofit organization means any corporation, trust, association, cooperative or other organization that is operated primarily for service, charitable, scientific, educational or other similar purposes; is not organized for profit; and uses its net proceeds to maintain, improve, and/or expands its operations.
(j) Private Voluntary Organization (PVO) See U.S. Private Voluntary Organization, International Private Voluntary Organization, and Local Private Voluntary Organization.
(k) Public International Organization (PIO) means a non-U.S. based organization (i.e., composed principally of governments) in which the U.S. participates. (See USAID's Automated Directives System (ADS) 308.3).
(l) Public Law 480 means the Agricultural Trade Development and Assistance Act of 1954, as amended, 7 U.S.C. 1691, et seq.
(n) Supporting services means the total of general and administration expenses plus fundraising expenses.
(2) Is a nongovernmental organization (NGO) that solicits and receives cash contributions from the U.S. general public;
(3) Is a charitable organization in that it is nonprofit and exempt from Federal income taxes under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, and is not a university, college, accredited degree-granting institution of education, private foundation, hospital, organization established by a major political party in the United States, organization established, funded and audited by the U.S. Congress, organization engaged exclusively in research or scientific activities, church, synagogue, mosque or other similar entity organized primarily for religious purposes; and
Title 22 published on 2013-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.