(a) An individual who disagrees with the denial or partial denial of his or her request to amend a record may file a request for review of such refusal within 60 days after the date of notification of the denial or partial denial.
(b) The request for review must be in writing and may be presented in person or by mail to:
Director, International Development Cooperation Agency, 2201 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20523. Attention: Privacy Review Request.
Director, Office of External Affairs, Agency for International Development, 2201 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20523. Attention: Privacy Review Request.
Both the envelope and the letter should be clearly marked: Attention: Privacy Review Request. Such request should include any documentation, information or statements advanced for the amendment of the record, and a copy of the initial adverse determination.
Code of Federal Regulations
- Page 981
(c) Upon receipt of the request for review, the Director or the Assistant Administrator, or an officer of the Agency designated in writing by the Director or Administrator, shall undertake an independent review of the initial determination.
(d) If someone other than the Director or the Assistant Administrator is designated to conduct the review, he or she shall be an officer who is organizationally independent of or senior to the officer or employee who made the initial determination.
(e) In conducting the review, the reviewing official, may at his or her option, request such additional information as is deemed necessary to establish that the record contains only that information which is accurate, timely, complete and necessary to assure fairness in any determination which may be made about the individual on the basis of the record.
(f) Within 30 days after receipt of the request for review, the Director, the Assistant Administrator, or the official designated to conduct the review, shall advise the individual of the Agency's final decision. If unusual circumstances prevent the completion of the review within the 30-day period, the Agency shall, prior to the expiration of the 30-day period, advise the individual in writing of the circumstances preventing the completion of such review and inform him or her of the date by which the review is expected to be completed.
(g) If the reviewing official determines that the record should be amended in accordance with the individual's request, the Agency shall:
(1) Amend the record accordingly;
(2) Advise the individual of the amendment; and
(3) Where an accounting of disclosures has been made, advise all previous recipients of the fact that the amendment was made and the nature of the amendment.
(h) If, after conducting the review, the reviewing official refuses to amend the record, in whole or in part, in accordance with the individual's request, Agency shall advise the individual:
(1) Of its refusal and the reasons therefor;
(2) Of the individual's right to file a concise statement of his or her reasons for disagreeing with the Agency's decision;
(3) Of the procedures for filing a statement of disagreement;
(4) That any such statement will be sent to anyone to whom the record is subsequently disclosed, together with a brief statement by the Agency summarizing its reasons for refusing to amend the record;
(5) That to the extent an accounting of disclose was maintained, prior recipients of the disputed record will be provided a copy of any statement of disagreement and of the Agency's statement summarizing its reasons for refusing to amend the record; and
(6) Of the individual's right to seek judicial review of the Agency's refusal to amend a record as provided for in section (g)(1)(a) of the Act.
Title 22 published on 2012-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.