(1) Be used for approved projects for alcohol-impaired driving countermeasures; or
(2) Be directed to State and local law enforcement agencies for enforcement of laws prohibiting driving while intoxicated or driving under the influence and other related laws (including regulations), including the purchase of equipment, the training of officers, and the use of additional personnel for specific alcohol-impaired driving countermeasures, dedicated to enforcement of the laws (including regulations).
(b) States may elect to use all or a portion of the transferred funds for hazard elimination activities eligible under 23 U.S.C. 152.
(c) No later than 60 days after the funds are transferred under § 1270.6, the Governor's Representative for Highway Safety and the Secretary of the State's Department of Transportation for each State shall jointly identify, in writing to the appropriate NHTSA Administrator and FHWA Division Administrator, how the funds will be programmed among alcohol-impaired driving programs, hazard elimination programs and planning and administration costs.
(d) The Federal share of the cost of any project carried out with the funds transferred under § 1270.6 of this part shall be 100 percent.
(e) The amount to be transferred under § 1270.6 of this part may be derived from one or more of the following:
(1) The apportionment of the State under § 104(b)(1) ;
(2) The apportionment of the State under § 104(b)(3); or
(3) The apportionment of the State under § 104(b)(4).
(f) (1) If any funds are transferred under § 1270.6 of this part to the apportionment of a State under Section 402 for a fiscal year, an amount, determined under paragraph (e)(2) of this section, of obligation authority will be distributed for the fiscal year to the State for Federal-aid highways and highway safety construction programs for carrying out projects under Section 402.
(2) The amount of obligation authority referred to in paragraph (e)(1) of this section shall be determined by multiplying:
(i) The amount of funds transferred under § 1270.6 of this part to the apportionment of the State under Section 402 for the fiscal year; by
(ii) The ratio that:
(A) The amount of obligation authority distributed for the fiscal year to the State for Federal-aid highways and highway safety construction programs; bears to
(B) The total of the sums apportioned to the State for Federal-aid highways and highway safety construction programs (excluding sums not subject to any obligation limitation) for the fiscal year.
(g) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no limitation on the total obligations for highway safety programs under Section 402 shall apply to funds transferred under § 1270.6 to the apportionment of a State under such section.
[63 FR 53585, Oct. 6, 1998, as amended at 65 FR 51538, Aug. 24, 2000]
Title 23 published on 2012-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.