(a) The HSIP evaluation process shall include the evaluation of the overall HSIP and the SHSP. It shall:
(1) Include a process to analyze and assess the results achieved by the HSIP in reducing the number of crashes, fatalities and serious injuries, or potential crashes, and in reaching the performance goals identified in § 924.9(a)(3)(ii)(G).
(2) Include a process to evaluate the overall SHSP on a regular basis as determined by the State and in consultation with the FHWA to:
(i) Ensure the accuracy and currency of the safety data;
(ii) Identify factors that affect the priority of emphasis areas, strategies, and proposed improvements; and
(iii) Identify issues that demonstrate a need to revise or otherwise update the SHSP.
(b) The information resulting from the process developed in § 924.13(a)(1) shall be used:
(1) For developing basic source data in the planning process in accordance with § 924.9(a)(1) ;
(2) For setting priorities for highway safety improvement projects;
(3) For assessing the overall effectiveness of the HSIP; and