(a)Procedures. The mortgagee shall release a selling mortgagor from any personal liability for payment of the mortgage debt, if release is permitted by § 203.258 of this part, in accordance with the following procedures:
(1) The mortgagee receives a request for a creditworthiness determination for a prospective purchaser of all or part of the mortgaged property;
(2) The mortgagee or servicer performs a creditworthiness determination under § 203.512(b)(1) of this part if the mortgagee or servicer is approved for participation in the Direct Endorsement program, or the mortgagee requests a creditworthiness determination by the Secretary;
(3) The prospective purchaser is determined to be creditworthy under the standards applicable when a release of the selling mortgagor is intended;
(4) The prospective purchaser assumes personal liability by agreeing to pay the mortgage debt; and
(5) The mortgagee provides the selling mortgagor with a release of personal liability on a form approved by the Secretary.
(b)Release after 5 years.
(1) If a selling mortgagor is not released under the procedures described in paragraph (a) of this section, either because no request for a creditworthiness determination is submitted under paragraph (a)(1) of this section, or because there is no affirmative determination of creditworthiness under paragraph (a)(3) of this section, then the selling mortgagor is automatically released from any personal liability for payment of the mortgage debt because of section 203(r) of the National Housing Act if:
(i) The purchasing mortgagor has assumed personal liability by agreeing to pay the mortgage debt;
(ii) Five years have elapsed after the assumption; and
(iii) The purchasing mortgagor is not in default under the mortgage at the end of the five-year period.
(2) If the conditions of this paragraph (b) for a release are satisfied, the mortgagee shall provide a written release upon request to the selling mortgagor.
(3) This paragraph (b) only applies to a mortgage originated pursuant to an application by the mortgagor on or after December 1, 1986 on a form approved by the Secretary.
(c)Mortgagee to provide notice. A mortgagee shall inform mortgagors (including prospective mortgagors seeking information) about the procedures for release of personal liability by providing a notice approved by the Secretary when required by the Secretary.
[58 FR 42649, Aug. 11, 1993]
Title 24 published on 2013-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 24.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.