(a) Whenever the Commissioner receives notice under § 207.258 of a mortgagee's intention to file an insurance claim and to assign the mortgage to the Commissioner, the Commissioner may request the mortgagee, in lieu of assignment, to accept partial payment of the claim under the mortgage insurance contract and to recast the mortgage, under such terms and conditions as the Commissioner may determine.
(b) The Commissioner may request the mortgagee to participate in a partial payment of claim in lieu of assignment only after a determination that partial payment would be less costy to the Federal government than other reasonable alternatives for maintaining the low- and moderate-income character of the project. This determination shall be based upon the findings listed below and such other findings as the Commissioner deems appropriate:
(1) The mortgagee is entitled, under § 207.255, to assign the mortgage in exchange for the payment of insurance benefits;
(2) The relief resulting from partial payment, when considered with other resources available to the project, would be sufficient to restore the financial viability of the project;
(3) The project is, or can at reasonable cost be made, structurally sound;
(4) The management of the project is satisfactory to the Commissioner; and
(5) The default under the insured mortgage was beyond the control of the mortgagor.
(c) Partial payment of a claim under this section shall be made only when:
(1) The project is, or potentially could serve as, a low- and moderate-income housing resource;
(2) The property covered by the mortgage is free and clear of all liens other than the insured first mortgage and such other liens as the Commissioner may have approved;
(3) The mortgagee has voluntarily agreed to accept partial payment of the insurance claim under the mortgage insurance contract and to recast the remaining mortgage amount under terms and conditions prescribed by the Commissioner; and
(4) The mortgagor has agreed to repay to the Commissioner an amount equal to the partial payment, with the obligation secured by a second mortgage on the project containing terms and conditions prescribed by the Commissioner. The terms of the second mortgage will be determined on a case-by-case basis to assure that the estimated project income will be sufficient to cover estimated operating expenses and debt service on the recast insured mortgage. The Commissioner may provide for postponed amortization of the second mortgage.
(d) Payment of insurance benefits under this section shall be in cash. The Commissioner shall waive the deduction of one percent of the mortgage funds advanced to the mortgagor, provided for in § 207.259(b)(2)(iv), with respect to a partial payment of a claim under this section. The items referred to in § 207.258(b)(4) shall either be retained by the mortgagee or delivered to the Commissioner in accordance with instructions to be issued by the Commissioner with respect to a partial payment of claim under this section.
(e) Lenders receiving a partial payment of claim following the Commissioner's endorsement of the Mortgage for full insurance under parts 251, 252, or 255 of this chapter, will pay HUD a fee in an amount set forth through Federal Register notice. HUD, in its discretion, may collect this fee or deduct the fee from any payment it makes in the claim process.
[50 FR 38786, Sept. 25, 1985, as amended at 61 FR 49037, Sept. 17, 1996]
Title 24 published on 2013-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 24.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.