(a) An “aggrieved person” must request counseling in accordance with 29 CFR 1614.105(a). The aggrieved person must initiate contact with an EEO Counselor within 45 days of the date of the matter alleged to be discriminatory or, in the case of a personnel action, within 45 days of the effective date of the action. EEOC's regulation at 29 CFR 1614.105 shall govern the Department's pre-complaint processing.
(b) The Department or the EEOC shall extend the 45-day time limit in paragraph (a) of this section when the individual shows that the individual was not notified of the time limits and was not otherwise aware of them, that the individual did not know and reasonably should not have known that the discriminatory matter or personnel action occurred, that despite due diligence the individual was prevented by circumstances beyond the individual's control from contacting the EEO Counselor within the time limits, or for other reasons considered sufficient by the ODEEO or the EEOC.
(c) At the initial counseling session, EEO Counselors must advise individuals, in writing, of their rights and responsibilities, including:
(1) The right to request a hearing and decision from an Administrative Judge of the EEOC or an immediate final decision from the Department following an investigation in accordance with 29 CFR 1614.108(f) ;
(2) Election rights pursuant to 29 CFR 1614.301 and CFR 1614.302;
(3) The right to file a notice of intent to sue pursuant to 29 CFR 1614.201(a) and a lawsuit under the ADEA instead of an administrative complaint of age discrimination under this subpart;
(4) The duty to mitigate damages;
(5) Relevant time frames; and
(6) The requirement that only the claims raised in pre-complaint counseling (or claims like or related to claims raised in pre-complaint counseling) may be alleged in a subsequent complaint filed with the Department.
Title 24 published on 2012-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.