24 CFR 970.21 - Relocation of residents.
(a) Relocation of residents on a nondiscriminatory basis and relocation resources. A PHA must offer each family displaced by demolition or disposition comparable housing that meets housing quality standards (HQS) and is located in an area that is generally not less desirable than the location of the displaced persons. The housing must be offered on a nondiscriminatory basis, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, handicap, age, familial status, or gender, in compliance with applicable Federal and state laws. For persons with disabilities displaced from a unit with reasonable accommodations, comparable housing should include similar accommodations. Such housing may include:
(1) Tenant-based assistance, such as assistance under the Housing Choice Voucher Program, 24 CFR part 982, except that such assistance will not be considered “comparable housing” until the family is actually relocated into such housing;
(3) Occupancy in a unit operated or assisted by the PHA at a rental rate paid by the family that is comparable to the rental rate applicable to the unit from which the family is vacated.
b) In-place tenants. A PHA may not complete disposition of a building until all tenants residing in the building are relocated.
(1) Sources of funding for relocation costs related to demolition or disposition may include, but are not limited to, capital funds or other federal funds currently available for this purpose;
(2) If Federal financial assistance under the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program, 42 U.S.C. 5301 et seq. (including loan guarantees under section 108 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, 42 U.S.C. 5308 et seq.); the Urban Development Action Grant (UDAG) program, 42 U.S.C. 5318 et seq.; or HOME program, 42 U.S.C. 12701 et seq. is used in connection with the demolition or disposition of public housing, the project is subject to section 104(d) of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, 42 U.S.C. 5304(d) (as amended)), including the relocation payment provisions and the anti-displacement provisions, which require that comparable replacement dwellings be provided within the community for the same number of occupants as could have been housed in the occupied and vacant, occupiable low- and moderate-income units demolished or converted to another use.
(d) Relocation timetable. For the purpose of determining operating subsidy eligibility under 24 CFR part 990, a PHA must provide the following information in the application or immediately following application submission:
(1) Notifying each family residing in the development of the proposed demolition or disposition 90 days prior to the displacement date, except in cases of imminent threat to health and safety. The notification must include a statement that:
(ii) The demolition of the building in which the family resides will not commence until each resident of the building has been relocated;
(iii) Each family displaced by such action will be provided comparable housing, which may include housing with reasonable accommodations for disability, if required under section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and HUD's regulations in 24 CFR part 8, as described in paragraph (a) of this section;
(2) Providing for the payment of the actual and reasonable relocation expenses of each resident to be displaced, including residents requiring reasonable accommodations because of disabilities;
(3) Ensuring that each displaced resident is offered comparable replacement housing as described in paragraph (b) of this section; and
(f) In addition, the PHA's plan for the relocation of residents who would be displaced by the proposed demolition or disposition must indicate:
(3) What housing resources are expected to be available to provide housing for displaced residents; and
(4) An estimate of the costs for counseling and advisory services and resident moving expenses, and the expected source for payment of these costs.
Title 24 published on 2014-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.