(a) This part applies to public housing developments that are owned by public housing agencies (PHAs) and that are subject to annual contributions contracts (ACCs) under the Act.
(b) This part does not apply to the following:
(1) PHA-owned section 8 housing, or housing leased under former sections 10(c) or 23 of the Act;
(2) Demolition or disposition before the date of full availability (DOFA) of property acquired incident to the development of a public housing project (however, this exception shall not apply to dwelling units under ACC);
(3) The conveyance of public housing for the purpose of providing homeownership opportunities for lower-income families under sections 21 and 32 of the Act (42 U.S.C. 1437s and 42 U.S.C. 1437z-4, respectively), the homeownership program under former section 5(h) of the Act (42 U.S.C. 1437c(h) ), or other predecessor homeownership programs;
(4) The leasing of dwelling or non-dwelling space incidental to the normal operation of the project for public housing purposes, as permitted by the ACC;
(5) Making available common areas and unoccupied dwelling units in public housing projects to provide HUD-approved economic self-sufficiency services and activities to promote employment of public housing residents;
(6) The reconfiguration of the interior space of buildings (e.g., moving or removing interior walls to change the design, sizes, or number of units) without “demolition,” as defined in § 970.5. (This includes the conversion of bedroom size, occupancy type, changing the status of unit from dwelling to non-dwelling.);
(7) Easements, rights-of-way, and transfers of utility systems incident to the normal operation of the development for public housing purposes, as permitted by the ACC;
(8) A whole or partial taking by a public or quasi-public entity (taking agency) authorized to take real property by its use of police power or exercise of its power of eminent domain under state law. A taking does not qualify for the exception under this paragraph unless:
(i) The taking agency has been authorized to acquire real property by use of its police power or power of eminent domain under its state law;
(ii) The taking agency has taken at least the first step in formal proceedings under its state law; and
(iii) If the taking is for a federally assisted project, the Uniform Relocation Act (URA) (42 U.S.C. 4601et seq.) applies to any resulting displacement of residents and it is the responsibility of the taking agency to comply with applicable URA requirements.
(9) Demolition after conveyance of a public housing project to a non-PHA entity in accordance with an approved homeownership program under Title III of the Cranston-Gonzalez National Affordable Housing Act (HOPE I) (42 U.S.C. 1437aaa note) ;
(10) Units or land leased for non-dwelling purposes for one year or less;
(11) A public housing property that is conveyed by a PHA prior to DOFA to enable an owner entity to develop the property using the mixed-finance development method;
(12) Disposition of public housing property for development pursuant to the mixed-finance development method at 24 CFR part 941, subpart F;
(13) Demolition under the de minimis exception in § 970.27, except that the environmental review provisions apply, including the provisions at §§ 970.7(a)(15) and (b)(13) of this part.
(14) Demolition (but not disposition) of severely distressed units as part of a revitalization plan under section 24 of the Act (42 U.S.C. 1437v) (HOPE VI) approved after October 21, 1998;
(15) Demolition (but not disposition) of public housing developments removed from a PHA's inventory under section 33 of the Act, 42 U.S.C. 1437z-5.
[71 FR 62362, Oct. 24, 2006, as amended at 73 FR 3868, Jan. 23, 2008]
Title 24 published on 2012-04-01
The following are only the Rules published in the Federal Register after the published date of Title 24.
For a complete list of all Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices view the Rulemaking tab.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.