(a) Only Alaska Natives, organizations of Alaska Natives, or the United States for the benefit of these Natives, can own Alaskan reindeer in Alaska.
(1) Any transfer not allowed by this part is not legal, and does not confer ownership or the right to keep Alaskan reindeer, reindeer products, or any interest in them.
(2) Anyone violating this part will forfeit their reindeer or reindeer products to the Federal Government.
(b) An Alaska Native or a Native reindeer organization may transfer reindeer that they own to other Alaska Natives or Native reindeer organizations without restriction, except as provided in this part.
(c) We may maintain reindeer for research projects, so long as the purpose of the research benefits the Native reindeer industry. We retain title to these reindeer and will determine their eventual disposition.
(d) A non-Native manager of Alaskan reindeer must, by the last day of September each year:
(1) Provide us a copy of the contract with the Native reindeer owner; and
(2) Provide us a written report of all Alaskan reindeer kept, born, died or transferred.
(e) We may permit possession of a limited number of Alaskan reindeer by a non-Native applicant under a Special Use Permit for Public Display.
(1) We can revoke this permit for cause.
(2) The permit will not allow the permit-holder to keep a breeding herd (i.e., a herd that is capable of reproduction).
(3) The permit-holder must report to us in writing by the last day of September each year on all reindeer held under this permit.
Title 25 published on 2011-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.