Appeal to the Commission of initial adverse agency determination on access or amendment to records.
(a) Any individual whose request for access or an amendment has been denied in whole or in part, may appeal the decision to the Commission no later than one hundred eighty (180) days after the adverse decision is rendered.
(b) The appeal shall be in writing and shall contain all of the following information:
(1) The name of the individual making the appeal;
(2) Identification of the record sought to be amended;
(3) The record system in which such record is contained;
(4) A short statement describing the amendment sought; and
(5) The name and location of the agency official who initially denied the amendment.
(c) Not later than thirty (30) days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and Federal holidays) after the date on which the Commission receives the appeal, the Commission shall complete its review of the appeal and make a final decision thereon. For good cause shown, however, the Commission may extend such thirty (30) day period. If the Commission extends the period, the individual requesting the review shall be promptly notified of the extension and the anticipated date of a decision.
(d) After review of an appeal, the Commission shall send a written notice to the requester containing the following information:
(1) The decision and, if the denial is upheld, the reasons for the decision;
(2) The right of the requester to file with the Commission a concise statement setting forth the reasons for his or her disagreement with the Commission's denial of access or amendment. The Commission shall make this statement available to any person to whom the record is later disclosed, together with a brief statement, if appropriate, of the Commission's reasons for denying requested access or amendment. The Commission shall also send a copy of the statement to prior recipients of the individual's record; and
(3) The right of the requester to institute a civil action in a Federal district court for judicial review of the decision.
Title 25 published on 2011-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.