(a) Only registered voters will be entitled to vote, and all determinations of the sufficiency of the number of ballots cast will be based upon the number of registered voters. The election board, upon receipt of authorization to conduct an election, shall notify by regular mail all adult members of the tribe, who to its knowledge are eligible to vote pursuant to § 81.6 of the need to register if they intend to vote. Any tribal member who, to the election board's knowledge, will become 18 years of age within 150 days (180 days for Alaska tribes) from the date of authorization and who is otherwise eligible to vote shall also be notified and shall be eligible to register, provided that such a person shall not be entitled to vote if election day falls before the individual's 18th birthday. This notice shall be sent to an individual's last known address as it appears on the records of the local unit of the Bureau of Indian Affairs having jurisdiction. Each notice addressed to a tribal member not residing on the reservation shall be accompanied by a preaddressed registration form (BIA Form 8302) which shall set forth the following information in the upper right corner:
(1) OMB Clearance Number 1076-003, Expires June 30, 1983;
(2) The name and address of the person desiring to register;
(3) A statement with a signature line attesting that the individual is a tribal member and is at least 18 years of age, or will be within 150 days, (180 days for Alaska tribes) from the date of authorization; and
(4) The three following statements: “Completion of and return of this registration form is necessary if you desire to become qualified to vote in the forthcoming constitutional or charter election.” “This form, upon completion and return to the election board, shall be the basis for determining whether you qualify to have your name placed upon the list of registered voters and receive a ballot” and “completion and return of this form is voluntary.” Members who qualify as absentee voters and wish to cast an absentee ballot must complete and return the above registration form before, or in conjunction with, requesting an absentee ballot in sufficient time to permit compliance with § 81.12.
(b) The following records shall be kept for all notices:
(1) Names and addresses of persons to whom notices are mailed;
(2) Date of mailing; and
(3) A copy of each return registration request (including from whom received and date and time of receipt).
Tribal members living on the reservation who desire to vote must register with the election board in the manner it determines in time to permit compliance with § 81.12. Registration procedures for such Indians shall be included in the notice of the need to register to resident members.
[46 FR 1670, Jan. 7, 1981, as amended at 46 FR 38352, July 27, 1981. Redesignated at 47 FR 13327, Mar. 30, 1982]
Title 25 published on 2011-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.