(1) M, N, and O are affiliated organizations under § 56.4911-7(a). M's taxable year ends November 30, N's, January 31, and O's, June 30. On June 20, 1979, O files Form 5768 to elect to be governed by the expenditure test. M files Form 5768 in December of 1979. Neither M nor O revokes the election, and no organization makes the election provided for in § 56.4911-7(e)(5). M, N, and O constitute an affiliated group of organizations, the first taxable year of which is the calendar year 1979.
(2) Because the organizations did not elect under § 56.4911-7(e)(5) to use their own taxable years as the group's taxable years, the expenditures of the affiliated group for its first taxable year are the expenditures made by M, N, and O during calendar year 1979, and are reported by M, N, and O on their returns for their taxable years within which falls December 31, 1979. M reports the expenditures of the affiliated group for 1979 on its return for its taxable year ending November 30, 1980; and O, on its return for its taxable year ending June 30, 1980. N is not an electing member (as defined in § 56.4911-7(e)(4)). Accordingly, under paragraph (d)(3)(i) of this section, it reports the name and identification number of each member of the group.
(3) The following tables summarize the expenditures by the affiliated group for the calendar years indicated. None of the group's lobbying expenditures for its taxable years 1979 through 1982 were grass roots expenditures.
Table I—Group's ExpendituresYearExempt purpose expenditures (EPE)CalculationLobbying nontaxable amount (LNTA)Lobbying expenditures (LE)1979$400,000(20%×$400,000=)$80,000$100,0001980300,000(20%×$300,000=)60,000100,0001981600,000(20%×$500,000 15%×$100,000=)115,000120,0001982500,000(20%×$500,000=)100,000220,000Total1,800,000355,000540,000
Table II—Expenditures of M and OExempt purpose expendituresMOLobbying nontaxable amountMOLobbying expendituresMOM plus O1979125,000100,00025,00020,00060,00020,00080,0001980100,00050,00020,00010,00040,00040,00080,0001981250,000100,00050,00020,00060,00040,000100,0001982200,000100,00040,00020,000160,00040,000200,000
(4) For the affiliated group's taxable years 1979, 1980, 1981, and 1982, the group has excess lobbying expenditures. Under section 4911(f)(1)(B) and § 56.4911-8(d), M and O, as electing member organizations, are liable for a portion of the 25 percent excise tax imposed on the group's excess lobbying expenditures, based on their respective shares of the lobbying expenditures of all electing member organizations. For 1979, the excess lobbying expenditures are $20,000 ($100,000−$80,000). The tax is 25% of $20,000 or $5,000; M must pay $3,750 (($60,000/$80,000) × $5,000 = $3,750), and O must pay $1,250 (($20,000/$80,000) × $5,000 = $1,250). For 1980, the tax is $10,000 and each must pay $5,000. For 1981, the tax is $1,250, of which M must pay $750 and O must pay $500. For 1982, the tax is $30,000. M must pay $24,000 and O must pay $6,000. M and O are not liable for any separate 4911 excise tax that otherwise would have been imposed on their separate excess lobbying expenditures.
(5) Under § 56.4911-9(b), the group must make the calculation described in § 1.501(h)-3(b)(1) for each of the group's taxable years 1979 through 1982. The following illustrates only the required calculation for the group's taxable year 1982. For its taxable year 1982, the group must determine whether it normally has made lobbying expenditures in excess of its lobbying ceiling amount. The determination takes into account the group's expenditures in base years 1979 through 1982. The sum of the group's lobbying expenditures for the base years ($540,000) exceeds 150% of the sum of the group's lobbying nontaxable amounts for the base years (150% × $355,000 = $532,500). Therefore, for its taxable year 1982, the group normally has made lobbying expenditures in excess of its lobbying ceiling amount. Under section 501(h) and § 56.4911-9(b), M is not exempt from tax under section 501(a) as an organization described in section 501(c)(3) for its taxable year beginning December 1, 1983, and O is not exempt for its year beginning July 1, 1983. Whether N's lobbying expenditures disqualify it for tax exemption at any time after January 1, 1979, is determined under the substantial part test of section 501(c)(3).