27 CFR 478.40 - Manufacture, transfer, and possession of semiautomatic assault weapons.
(1) The possession or transfer of any semiautomatic assault weapon otherwise lawfully possessed in the United States under Federal law on September 13, 1994;
(2) Any of the firearms, or replicas or duplicates of the firearms, specified in 18 U.S.C. 922, appendix A, as such firearms existed on October 1, 1993;
(4) Any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than 5 rounds of ammunition;
(5) Any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine;
(6) The manufacture for, transfer to, or possession by the United States or a department or agency of the United States or a State or a department, agency, or political subdivision of a State, or a transfer to or possession by a law enforcement officer employed by such an entity for purposes of law enforcement;
(7) The transfer to a licensee under title I of the Atomic Energy Act of 1954 (42 U.S.C. 2011 et seq.) for purposes of establishing and maintaining an on-site physical protection system and security organization required by Federal law, or possession by an employee or contractor of such licensee on-site for such purposes or off-site for purposes of licensee-authorized training or transportation of nuclear materials;
(8) The possession, by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving a firearm, of a semiautomatic assault weapon transferred to the individual by the agency upon such retirement;
(9) The manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon by a licensed manufacturer or licensed importer for the purposes of testing or experimentation as authorized by the Director under the provisions of § 478.153; or
(10) The manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon by a licensed manufacturer, licensed importer, or licensed dealer for the purpose of exportation in compliance with the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2778).
(c) Manufacture and dealing in semiautomatic assault weapons. Subject to compliance with the provisions of this part, licensed manufacturers and licensed dealers in semiautomatic assault weapons may manufacture and deal in such weapons manufactured after September 13, 1994: Provided, The licensee obtains evidence that the weapons will be disposed of in accordance with paragraph (b) of this section. Examples of acceptable evidence include the following:
(1) Contracts between the manufacturer and dealers stating that the weapons may only be sold to law enforcement agencies, law enforcement officers, or other purchasers specified in paragraph (b) of this section;
(2) Copies of purchase orders submitted to the manufacturer or dealer by law enforcement agencies or other purchasers specified in paragraph (b) of this section;
(3) Copies of letters submitted to the manufacturer or dealer by government agencies, law enforcement officers, or other purchasers specified in paragraph (b) of this section expressing an interest in purchasing the semiautomatic assault weapons;
(4) Letters from dealers to the manufacturer stating that sales will only be made to law enforcement agencies, law enforcement officers, or other purchasers specified in paragraph (b) of this section; and
(5) Letters from law enforcement officers purchasing in accordance with paragraph (b)(6) of this section and § 478.132.(Paragraph (c) approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 1140-0041)
[T.D. ATF-363, 60 FR 17451, Apr. 6, 1995], as amended by ATF-11F, 73 FR 57240, Oct. 2, 2008]
Title 27 published on 2014-04-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.