(a) Eligible claimants. The term eligible claimants means:
(1) Individuals present at the World Trade Center, Pentagon, or Shanksville, Pennsylvania site at the time of or in the immediate aftermath of the crashes and who suffered physical harm, as defined herein, as a direct result of the terrorist-related aircraft crashes;
(2) The Personal Representatives of deceased individuals aboard American Airlines flights 11 or 77 and United Airlines flights 93 or 175; and
(3) The Personal Representatives of individuals who were present at the World Trade Center, Pentagon, or Shanksville, Pennsylvania site at the time of or in the immediate aftermath of the crashes and who died as a direct result of the terrorist-related aircraft crash.
(4) The term eligible claimants does not include any individual or representative of an individual who is identified to have been a participant or conspirator in the terrorist-related crashes of September 11.
(b) Immediate aftermath. The term immediate aftermath of the crashes shall mean, for purposes of all claimants other than rescue workers, the period of time from the crashes until 12 hours after the crashes. With respect to rescue workers who assisted in efforts to search for and recover victims, the immediate aftermath shall include the period from the crashes until 96 hours after the crashes.
(c) Physical harm.(1) The term physical harm shall mean a physical injury to the body that was treated by a medical professional within 24 hours of the injury having been sustained, or within 24 hours of rescue, or within 72 hours of injury or rescue for those victims who were unable to realize immediately the extent of their injuries or for whom treatment by a medical professional was not available on September 11, or within such time period as the Special Master may determine for rescue personnel who did not or could not obtain treatment by a medical professional within 72 hours; and
(2) In every case not involving death, the physical injury must be verified by contemporaneous medical records created by or at the direction of the medical professional who provided the medical care.
(d) Personal Representative. The term Personal Representative shall mean the person determined to be the Personal Representative under § 104.4 of this part.
(e) Present at the site. The term present at the site (i.e., the World Trade Center, Pentagon, or Shanksville, Pennsylvania site) shall mean physically present at the time of the crashes or in the immediate aftermath:
(1) In the buildings or portions of buildings that were destroyed as a result of the airplane crashes; or
(2) In any area contiguous to the crash sites that the Special Master determines was sufficiently close to the site that there was a demonstrable risk of physical harm resulting from the impact of the aircraft or any subsequent fire, explosions, or building collapses (generally, the immediate area in which the impact occurred, fire occurred, portions of buildings fell, or debris fell upon and injured persons).
[66 FR 66282, Dec. 21, 2001, as amended at 67 FR 11245, Mar. 13, 2002]
Title 28 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.