(a) Coverage formula. Section 4(f)(4) applies to any State or political subdivision in which
(1) Over five percent of the voting-age citizens were, on November 1, 1972, members of a single language minority group,
(2) Registration and election materials were provided only in English on November 1, 1972, and
(3) Fewer than 50 percent of the voting-age citizens were registered to vote or voted in the 1972 Presidential election.
All three conditions must be satisfied before coverage exists under section 4(f)(4). 1
Footnote(s):1 Coverage is based on sections 4(b) (third sentence), 4(c), and 4(f)(3).
(b) Coverage may be determined with regard to section 4(f)(4) on a statewide or political subdivision basis.
(1) Whenever the determination is made that the bilingual requirements of section 4(f)(4) are applicable to an entire State, these requirements apply to each of the State's political subdivisions as well as to the State. In other words, each political subdivision within a covered State is subject to the same requirements as the State.
(2) Where an entire State is not covered under section 4(f)(4), individual political subdivisions may be covered.
Title 28 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.