29 CFR 1450.22 - Hearing.
(1) A hearing may be requested by filing a written petition with the Director, Financial Management Staff of FMCS, or such other official as may be named in the future by the Director of FMCS, stating why the employee believes the determination of the agency concerning the existence or the amount of the debt is in error.
(2) The employee's petition must be signed by the employee and fully identify and explain with reasonable specificity all the facts, evidence and witnesses, if any, which the employee believes support his or her position.
(3) The petition must be filed no later than fifteen (15) calendar days from the date that the notification was hand delivered or the date of delivery by certified mail, return receipt requested.
(4) If a petition is received after the fifteen (15) calendar day deadline referred to above, FMCS will nevertheless accept the petition if the employee can show that the delay was because of circumstances beyond his or her control, or because of failure to receive notice of the time limit (unless otherwise aware of it).
(5) If a petition is not filed within the time limit specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section, and is not accepted pursuant to paragraph (a)(4) of this section, the employee's right to hearing will be considered waived, and salary offset will be implemented by FMCS.
(1) The form and content of the hearing will be determined by the hearing official who shall be a person outside the control or authority of FMCS. In determining the type of hearing, the hearing officer will consider the nature and complexity of the transaction giving rise to the debt. The hearing may be conducted as an informal conference or interview, in which the agency and employee will be given a full opportunity to present their respective positions, or as a more formal proceeding involving the presentation of evidence, arguments and written submissions.
(ii) The hearing official's analysis, findings, and conclusions, in the light of the hearing, as to—
Title 29 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.