29 CFR 1926.957 - Construction in energized substations.
(1) When construction work is performed in an energized substation, authorization shall be obtained from the designated, authorized person before work is started.
(3) Extraordinary caution shall be exercised in the handling of busbars, tower steel, materials, and equipment in the vicinity of energized facilities. The requirements set forth in § 1926.950(c), shall be complied with.
(b) Deenergized equipment or lines. When it is necessary to deenergize equipment or lines for protection of employees, the requirements of § 1926.950(d) shall be complied with.
(1) Barricades or barriers shall be installed to prevent accidental contact with energized lines or equipment.
(2) Where appropriate, signs indicating the hazard shall be posted near the barricade or barrier. These signs shall comply with § 1926.200.
(2) Precaution shall be taken to prevent accidental operation of relays or other protective devices due to jarring, vibration, or improper wiring.
(1) Use of vehicles, gin poles, cranes, and other equipment in restricted or hazardous areas shall at all times be controlled by designated employees.
(2) All mobile cranes and derricks shall be effectively grounded when being moved or operated in close proximity to energized lines or equipment, or the equipment shall be considered energized.
(3) Fenders shall not be required for lowboys used for transporting large electrical equipment, transformers, or breakers.
(f) Storage. The storage requirements of § 1926.953(c) shall be complied with.
(1) When a substation fence must be expanded or removed for construction purposes, a temporary fence affording similar protection when the site is unattended, shall be provided. Adequate interconnection with ground shall be maintained between temporary fence and permanent fence.
(1) Excavation for auger, pad and piling type footings for structures and towers shall require the same precautions as for metal tower construction (see § 1926.955(b)(1)).
Title 29 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.