29 CFR 34.1 - Purpose; application.
prev | next
(a) Purpose. The purpose of this part is to implement the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of the Job Training Partnership Act of 1982, as amended (JTPA), which are contained in section 167 of JTPA. Section 167 prohibits discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation or belief, and for beneficiaries only, citizenship or participation in JTPA. This part clarifies the application of the nondiscrimination and equal opportunity provisions of JTPA and provides uniform procedures for implementing them.
(b) Application of this part. This part applies to any recipient, as defined in § 34.2. This part also applies to the employment practices of a recipient, as provided in § 34.7.
(1) A recipient's compliance with this part shall satisfy any obligation of the recipient to comply with 29 CFR part 31, implementing title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended (title VI), and with subparts A, D and E of 29 CFR part 32, implementing section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (section 504).
(2) However, compliance with this part shall not affect any obligation of the recipient to comply with subparts B and C and appendix A of 29 CFR part 32, which pertain to employment practices and employment-related training, program accessibility, and accommodations under section 504.
(3) Recipients that are also public entities or public accommodations as defined by titles II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1991 (ADA), should be aware of obligations imposed pursuant to those titles.
(4) Compliance with this part does not affect, in any way, any obligation that a recipient may have to comply with Executive Order 11246, as amended, section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 793), the affirmative action provisions of the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974, as amended (38 U.S.C. 4212), the Equal Pay Act of 1963, as amended (29 U.S.C. 206d), title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended (42 U.S.C. 2000e et seq.), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended (29 U.S.C. 621), title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, as amended (20 U.S.C. 1681), the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) (42 U.S.C. 12101 et seq.) and their respective implementing regulations.
(6) The rule generally codifies and consolidates already existing nondiscrimination and equal opportunity requirements. However, to the extent that this rule imposes any new requirements, it is not intended to have retroactive effect.
(4) Federal procurement contracts, with the exception of contracts to operate or provide services to Job Corps Centers; and
Title 29 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.