(a) The Office of Management and Budget has approved the information collection requirements in this part under 44 U.S.C. 3501et seq. and assigned OMB control number 1010-0048. The title of this information collection is “ 30 CFR part 251, Geological and Geophysical (G&G) Explorations of the OCS.”
(b) We may not conduct or sponsor, and you are not required to respond to, a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number.
(c) We use the information collected under this part to:
(1) Evaluate permit applications and monitor scientific research activities for environmental and safety reasons.
(2) Determine that explorations do not harm resources, result in pollution, create hazardous or unsafe conditions, or interfere with other users in the area.
(3) Approve reimbursement of certain expenses.
(4) Monitor the progress and activities carried out under an OCS G&G permit.
(5) Inspect and select G&G data and information collected under an OCS G&G permit.
(d) Respondents are Federal OCS permittees and Notice filers. Responses are mandatory or are required to obtain or retain a benefit. We will protect information considered proprietary under applicable law and under regulations at § 251.14 and part 250 of this chapter.
(e) Send comments regarding any aspect of the collection of information under this part, including suggestions for reducing the burden, to the Information Collection Clearance Officer, Minerals Management Service, Mail Stop 5438, 1849 C Street, NW., Washington, DC 20240.