30 CFR 732.15 - Criteria for approval or disapproval of State programs.
The Secretary shall not approve a State program unless, on the basis of information contained in the program submission, comments, testimony and written presentations at the public hearings, and other relevant information, the Secretary finds that—
(a) The program provides for the State to carry out the provisions and meet the purposes of the Act and this Chapter within the State and that the State's laws and regulations are in accordance with the provisions of the Act and consistent with the requirements of the Chapter.
(b) The State regulatory authority has the authority under State laws and regulations pertaining to coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations and the State program includes provisions to—
(1) Implement, administer and enforce all applicable requirements consistent with subchapter K of this chapter;
(2) Implement, administer and enforce a permit system consistent with the regulations of subchapter G of this chapter and prohibit surface coal mining and reclamation operations without a permit issued by the regulatory authority;
(3) Regulate coal exploration consistent with 30 CFR parts 772 and 815 and prohibit coal exploration that does not comply with 30 CFR parts 772 and 815;
(4) Require that persons extracting coal incidental to government financed construction maintain information on site consistent with 30 CFR 707;
(5) Enter, inspect and monitor all coal exploration and surface coal mining and reclamation operations on non-Indian and non-Federal land within the State consistent with the requirements of section 517 of the Act and subchapter L of this chapter;
(6) Implement, administer and enforce a system of performance bonds and liability insurance, or other equivalent guarantees, consistent with the requirements of subchapter J of this chapter;
(7) Provide for civil and criminal sanctions for violations of the State law, regulations and conditions of permits and exploration approvals including civil and criminal penalties in accordance with section 518 of the Act and consistent with 30 CFR 845, including the same or similar procedural requirements;
(8) Issue, modify, terminate and enforce notices of violation, cessation orders and show cause orders in accordance with section 521 of the Act and consistent with the requirements of subchapter L of this chapter including the same or similar procedural requirements;
(9) Designate areas as unsuitable for surface coal mining consistent with subchapter F of this chapter;
(10) Provide for public participation in the development, revision and enforcement of State regulations and the State program, consistent with public participation requirements of the Act and this chapter;
(11) Monitor, review and enforce the prohibition against indirect or direct financial interests in coal mining operations, by employees of the State regulatory authority, consistent with 30 CFR 705;
(12) Require the training, examination and certification of persons engaged in or responsible for blasting and the use of explosives consistent with regulations issued by the Secretary, except that no State program is required to implement this provision until six months after Federal regulations for this provision have been promulgated;
(14) Provide for administrative review of State program actions, in accordance with section 525 of the Act and subchapter L of this chapter;
(15) Provide for judicial review of State program actions in accordance with State law, as provided in section 526(e) of the Act, except that judicial review of State enforcement actions shall be in accordance with section 526 of the Act. Judicial review in accordance with State law shall not be construed to limit the operation of the rights established in section 520 of the Act, except as provided in that section.
(16) Cooperate and coordinate with and provide documents and other information to the Office under the provisions of this chapter.
(c) The State laws and regulations and the State program do not contain provisions which would interfere with or preclude implementation of those in the Act and this chapter.
(d) The State regulatory authority and other agencies having a role in the State program have sufficient legal, technical and administrative personnel and sufficient funding to implement, administer and enforce the provisions of the program, the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, and other applicable State and Federal laws.
[44 FR 15326, Mar. 13, 1979, as amended at 46 FR 53384, Oct. 28, 1981; 47 FR 26366, June 17, 1982; 48 FR 2272, Jan. 18, 1983; 48 FR 44779, Sept. 30, 1983]
For a document suspending § 732.15(b)(7) in part, see 45 FR 51548, Aug. 4, 1980.
Title 30 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.