(a)Review of forms. Except for forms developed and used by constituent units, the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Administration shall be responsible for reviewing all forms developed and used by the Department of the Treasury to collect information from and about individuals. The heads of components shall each be responsible for the review of forms used by such component to collect information from and about individuals.
(b)Scope of review. The responsible officers shall review each form for the purpose of eliminating any requirement for information that is not relevant and necessary to carry out an agency function and to accomplish the following objectives;
(1) To insure that no information concerning religion, political beliefs or activities, association memberships (other than those required for a professional license), or the exercise of First Amendment rights is required to be disclosed unless such requirement of disclosure is expressly authorized by statute or is pertinent to, and within the scope of, any authorized law enforcement activity;
(2) To insure that the form or a separate form that can be retained by the individual makes clear to the individual which information he is required by law to disclose and the authority for that requirement and which information is voluntary;
(3) To insure that the form or a separate form that can be retained by the individual states clearly the principal purpose or purposes for which the information is being collected, and summarizes concisely the routine uses that will be made of the information;
(4) To insure that the form or a separate form that can be retained by the individual clearly indicates to the individual the effect in terms of rights, benefits or privileges of not providing all or part of the requested information; and
(5) To insure that any form requesting disclosure of a Social Security Number, or a separate form that can be retained by the individual, clearly advises the individual of the statute or regulation requiring disclosure of the number or clearly advises the individual that disclosure is voluntary and that no consequence will follow from the refusal to disclose it, and the uses that will be made of the number whether disclosed mandatorily and voluntarily.
(c)Revision of forms. Any form which does not meet the objectives specified in the Privacy Act and in this section, shall be revised to conform thereto. A separate statement may be used in instances when a form does not conform. This statement will accompany a form and shall include all the information necessary to accomplish the objectives specified in the Privacy Act and this section.
Title 31 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.