31 CFR 535.531 - Payment of certain checks and drafts.
(a) A bank subject to the jurisdiction of the United States is hereby authorized to make payments from blocked accounts with such banking institution of checks and drafts drawn or issued prior to the effective date, Provided, That:
(2) The check or draft was within the United States in process of collection by a domestic bank on or prior to the effective date and does not exceed $50,000.
(3) The authorization contained in this paragraph shall expire at the close of business on January 14, 1980.
(b) A bank subject to the jurisdiction of the United States as its own obligation may make payment to a person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States who is the beneficiary of any letter of credit issued or confirmed by it, or on a draft accepted by it, prior to the effective date, where the letter of credit was issued or confirmed on behalf of Iran or an Iranian entity, Provided, That:
(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 535.902, no blocked account may at any time be debited in connection with such a payment.
(2) Such a payment shall give the bank making payment no special priority or other right to blocked accounts it holds in the event that such blocked accounts are vested or otherwise lawfully used in connection with a settlement of claims.
(3) Nothing in this paragraph prevents payment being made to the beneficiary of any draft or letter of credit or to any banking institution pursuant to § 535.904.
(c) The office will consider on a case-by-case basis, without any commitment on its part to authorize any transaction or class of transactions, applications for specific licenses to make payments from blocked accounts of documentary drafts drawn under irrevocable letters of credit issued or confirmed by a domestic bank prior to the effective date, in favor of any person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. Any bank or payee submitting such an application should include data on all such letters of credit in which it is involved. Applications should be submitted not later than January 10, 1980.
(d) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not authorize any payment to Iran or an Iranian entity except payments into a blocked account in a domestic bank unless Iran or the Iranian entity is otherwise licensed to receive such payment.
[44 FR 75352, Dec. 19, 1979]
Title 31 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.