31 CFR 536.506 - Provision of certain legal services authorized.
(a) The provision to or on behalf of a specially designated narcotics trafficker of the legal services set forth in paragraph (b) of this section is authorized, provided that all receipt of payment therefor must be specifically licensed.
(b) Specific licenses may be issued, on a case-by-case basis, authorizing receipt of payment of professional fees and reimbursement of incurred expenses for the following legal services by U.S. persons to a specially designated narcotics trafficker:
(1) Provision of legal advice and counseling on the requirements of and compliance with the laws of any jurisdiction within the United States, provided that such advice and counseling is not provided to facilitate transactions that would violate any of the prohibitions contained in this part;
(2) Representation of a specially designated narcotics trafficker when named as a defendant in or otherwise made a party to domestic United States legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings;
(3) Initiation of domestic United States legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings in defense of property interests subject to U.S. jurisdiction of a specially designated narcotics trafficker;
(4) Representation before any federal or state agency with respect to the imposition, administration, or enforcement of United States sanctions against significant narcotics traffickers centered in Colombia or specially designated narcotics traffickers; and
(5) Provision of legal services in any other context in which prevailing United States law requires access to legal counsel at public expense.
(c) The provision of any other legal services to a specially designated narcotics trafficker, not otherwise authorized in or exempted by this part, requires the issuance of a specific license.
(d) Entry into a settlement agreement affecting property or interests in property of a specially designated narcotics trafficker or the enforcement of any lien, judgment, arbitral award, decree, or other order through execution, garnishment or other judicial process purporting to transfer or otherwise alter or affect a property interest of a specially designated narcotics trafficker is prohibited unless specifically licensed in accordance with § 536.202(e).
Title 31 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.