31 CFR 560.525 - Exportation of certain legal services.
(a) The provision of the following legal services to the Government of Iran or to a person in Iran, and receipt of payment of professional fees and reimbursement of incurred expenses, are authorized:
(1) Provision of legal advice and counselling on the requirements of and compliance with the laws of any jurisdiction within the United States, provided that such advice and counselling is not provided to facilitate transactions that would violate any of the prohibitions contained in this part;
(2) Representation when a person in Iran or the Government of Iran has been named as a defendant in or otherwise made a party to domestic United States legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings;
(3) Initiation and conduct of domestic United States legal, arbitration, or administrative proceedings on behalf of the Government of Iran or a person in Iran;
(4) Representation before any federal or state agency with respect to the imposition, administration, or enforcement of United States sanctions against Iran;
(5) Initiation and conduct of legal proceedings, in the United States or abroad, including administrative, judicial and arbitral proceedings and proceedings before international tribunals (including the Iran-United States Claims Tribunal in The Hague and the International Court of Justice):
(i) To resolve disputes between the Government of Iran or an Iranian national and the United States or a United States national;
(iii) Where the proceeding involves the enforcement of awards, decisions, or orders resulting from legal proceedings within the scope of paragraph (a)(5)(i) or (a)(5)(ii) of this section, provided that any transaction, unrelated to the provision of legal services or the payment therefor, that is necessary or related to the execution of an award, decision or order resulting from such legal proceeding, or otherwise necessary for the conduct of such proceeding, and which would otherwise be prohibited by this part requires a specific license in accordance with §§ 560.510 and 560.801;
(6) Provision of legal advice and counselling in connection with settlement or other resolution of matters described in paragraph (a)(5) of this section; and
(7) Provision of legal services in any other context in which prevailing United States law requires access to legal counsel at public expense.
(b) The provision of any other legal services to a person in Iran or the Government of Iran, not otherwise authorized in or exempted by this part, requires the issuance of a specific license.
[60 FR 47063, Sept. 11, 1995, as amended at 62 FR 41852, Aug. 4, 1997]
Title 31 published on 2014-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.