(a) The last day for submission of claims to the Secretaries of the Military Departments for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay is October 21, 2010. The Secretaries concerned are not authorized to make payments on claims that are submitted after October 21, 2010.
(b) The additional period between the date of Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Memorandum, Subject: Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay Compensation signed on September 23, 2009 and October 21, 2009 is provided for the Military Departments to:
(1) Identify and formally notify members or former members that official records indicate their potential eligibility for Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay. This notification should reflect the estimated number of eligible months and the projected special pay amount along with guidance about how to submit a claim. Special care should be taken to work with family members of eligible Service members who are deceased. These family members may not be knowledgeable of the process and will require additional assistance after filing their claim.
(2) Make a public announcement of the Retroactive Stop Loss Special Pay Authority highlighting the scope of the program, who qualifies for the benefits, and how to submit a claim to a Service point of contact. The Service contact information will be provided in all public releases by the Office of Secretary of Defense (OSD) Public Affairs Office, as well as by each of the Services Public Affairs Offices.
(3) Establish and publish evidentiary requirements beyond those listed in this paragraph to support an unrecorded extension under Stop Loss Authority. Official documents may include but are not limited to:
(i) DD 214 Form, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty and/or DD 215, Correction to DD 214.
(ii) Personnel record or enlistment or reenlistment document recording original expiration of service date.
(iii) Approved retirement memorandum or orders establishing retirement prior to actual date of retirement as stipulated in DD Form 214 or DD Form 215.
(iv) Approved resignation memorandum or transition orders establishing a separation date prior to actual date of separation as stipulated in DD Form 214 or DD Form 215.
(v) Signed documentation or affidavit from knowledgeable officials from the individual's chain of command.
(4) Establish claim and appellate procedures, websites, points of contact for assistance or other outreach mechanisms to inform and expedite claims. Publish information on use of Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records.
(5) Claim is submitted and adjudicated by the Service, then sent forward to the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) for payment. Upon arrival DFAS will route claim to Debt Claims Management who will process the claim. Payments are then routed through Dispersing and then to Standards and Compliance. Then Dispersing will make payment to the former Service member or estate. Standards and Compliance will build and route reports for OSD and personnel centers.
Title 32 published on 2012-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.
This is a list of United States Code sections, Statutes at Large, Public Laws, and Presidential Documents, which provide rulemaking authority for this CFR Part.