32 CFR 326.12 - Procedures to request amendment or correction of record.
(a) An individual may request amendment or correction of a record pertaining to him/her by addressing such request in writing, to the Privacy Act Coordinator, National Reconnaissance Office, 14675 Lee Road, Chantilly, VA 20151-1715. Incomplete or inaccurate requests will not be rejected categorically; instead, the requester will be asked to clarify the request as needed. A request will not be rejected or require resubmission unless additional information is essential to process the request. Usually, amendments under this part are limited to correcting factual errors and not matters of official judgment, such as promotion ratings and job performance appraisals. The requester must adequately support his claim and must identify:
(1) The particular record he wishes to amend or correct, specifying the number of pages and documents, the titles of the documents, form numbers if any, dates on documents, and individuals who signed them. Any reasonable description of the documents is acceptable. A clear and specific description of passages, pages, or documents to be amended will expedite processing the request.
(2) The desired amending language. The requester should specify the type of amendment, including complete removal of data, passages, or documents from record or correction of information to make it accurate, more timely, complete, or relevant.
(3) A justification for such amendment or correction to include any documentary evidence supporting the request.
(b) Individuals will be required to provide verification of identity as in § 326.8. to ensure that the requester is seeking to amend records pertaining to himself and not, inadvertently or intentionally, the records of another individual.
(c) Minor factual errors in an individual's personal record may be corrected routinely upon request without resort to the Privacy Act or the provisions of this part, if the requester and the record holder agree to that procedure and the requester receives a copy of the corrected record whenever possible. A written request is not required when individuals indicate amendments during routine annual review and updating of records programs conducted by the NRO for civilian personnel and the Services for military personnel. Requests for deletion, removal of records, and amendment of substantive factual information will be processed according to the Privacy Act and the provisions of this part.
(d) The PA Coordinator shall acknowledge receipt of the request in writing within ten working days. No separate acknowledgement of receipt is necessary if the request can be either approved or denied and the requester advised within the ten-day period. For written requests presented in person, written acknowledgement may be provided at the time the request is presented.
(e) The PA Coordinator shall refer such request to the record-holder components, shall advise those components of the date of receipt, and shall request that those components make a prompt determination on such request.
(1) Make any amendment or correction to any portion of the record which the individual believes is not accurate, relevant, timely, or complete and notify the PA Coordinator and all holders and recipients of such records and their amendments that the correction was made; or
(2) Set forth the reasons for the refusal, if they determine that the requested amendment or correction will not be made or if they decline to make the requested amendment but instead augment the official record, and so inform the PA Coordinator.
(1) Inform the requester of the agency's determination to make the amendment or correction as requested and notify all prior recipients of the change to the disputed records for which an accounting had been required; or
(2) Inform the requester of the specific reasons and legal authorities for the agency's refusal and the procedures established for him to request a review of that refusal.
(h) The amendment procedure is not intended to replace other existing procedures such as those for registering grievances or appealing performance appraisal reports. In such cases the requester will be apprised of the appropriate procedures for such actions.
Title 32 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.