32 CFR 636.33 - Vehicle safety inspection criteria.
(a) The vehicle safety inspection criteria listed in this paragraph (a) are general in nature; specific evaluation techniques for these criteria are contained in Georgia Traffic Law.
(1) Headlights—every vehicle, except motorcycles, will have at least two headlights, one on each side of the front of the vehicle, capable of illuminating 500 feet to the front. Motorcycles will have one headlight.
(2) Tail Lamps—every vehicle will have at least one red, self-illuminating lamp, on the rear of the vehicle, visible from 500 feet to the rear.
(3) Registration Plate Lamp—every vehicle will have a lamp designed to illuminate the registration plate with white light making the plate legible from a distance of 50 feet.
(4) Rear Reflectors—every vehicle, except motorcycles, will have two red reflectors on the rear. Motorcycles will have one red reflector.
(5) Stop Lamp—every vehicle will have at least one red or yellow stop lamp on the rear which will be actuated upon application of the foot brake.
(6) Turn Signals—every vehicle will be equipped with electrical or mechanical turn signals capable of indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left, and visible from the front and rear. This requirement does not apply to any motorcycle or motor-driven cycle manufactured prior to 1 January 1972.
(7) Brakes—every vehicle will be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold such vehicle.
(8) Horn—every vehicle will be equipped with an operable horn, capable of emitting sound audible for at least 200 feet.
(10) Mirror—every vehicle, from which the driver's view is obstructed, will be equipped with a mirror reflecting a view of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear.
(11) Windows—the view through vehicle windows will not be obstructed by any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material. Windshields and rear windows will not have starburst or spider webbing effect greater than 3 inches by 3 inches. No opaque or solid material including, but not limited to cardboard, plastic, or taped glass will be employed in lieu of glass.
(12) Windshield Wipers—every vehicle, except motorcycles, will be equipped with operable windshield wipers.
(13) Tires—every vehicle will be equipped with serviceable rubber tires which will have a tread depth of at least two thirty-seconds of an inch.
(14) Suspension Systems—no vehicle will have its rear end elevated above the vehicle manufacturer's designated height (49 CFR 570.8).
Title 32 published on 2013-07-01
no entries appear in the Federal Register after this date.